When I was living up in Bergen County, I used to go to Coney Island
all the time, and it was always packed, and difficult to find parking.
I don't think it's a case of it "was a great tourist attraction",
rather, it always has been a great tourist attraction. And not just
because of the amusement park. They have great events there as well,
such as the Mermaid Parade and a killer music festival every summer.
Plus, there's a nice outdoor concert venue, the NY Aquarium and a new
minor league baseball stadium.
If Asbury had their shit together, they'd realize that they lost the
valuable entertainment resources that we've lost and fight to bring it
back, but noooooooo....they want to build housing. I agree that
housing is great, but that's not what Asbury was founded for in the
first place. A big commitment to music and entertainment would also
bring jobs, and tourists. If it wasn't for the music scene and
recreation that Asbury was famous for, nobody outside of Monmouth
County would never know it exists.
What do we have to look forward to once AP Partners is done? As far as
i'm concerned...boredom. Sure, they're gonna put some retail in there
for the cash spending public, but I for one could give a shit about
that. Plus, after my one trip to Pier Village, which sickened me, I
really don't need to visit another mall by the sea.