Surprised Gary didn't Post this.

THE CREATORS OF S.O.A.P. RETURN TO ASBURY
Print Article    Email This Article    Respond To This Article

by Gary Wien

This December, Asbury Park will pay a long overdue tribute to the
creators of the Asbury musical sound. Many of the creators will take
part in a once in a lifetime concert on December 9th at the Stone
Pony and a permanent monument will be placed on the boardwalk
containing the names of the musicians and performers that took the
music to its limit by pushing the envelope and digging deeper to
change the sound of Rock & Roll forever. We recently emailed Doc
Holiday to talk about the show and monument.

When and how did the idea for the monument come about?
Actually it happened when I was on a break from a recording session
in Nashville having lunch with Garry Tallent. We began talking about
the old days in Asbury, and I had mentioned in passing to Garry that
it was a shame that all the original guys that were working that
scene in the 60's were all but forgotten about in the mist of the
Bruce Explosion that happened in the 70's and how someone should
really take note of the impact those guys had on the development of
that sound. Garry agreed and with that the conversation went on to
other subjects. Two days later I was driving back to my recording
studio in Virginia and kept thinking about that thought of those
originators lost in the shuffle, and somewhere around 3 in the
morning in the middle of the Smokey Mountains on an interstate
highway, I thought, I'm gonna see if there's interest in doing some
sort of the tribute to those players from the Jersey Shore in the
60's. It was just supposed to be a little get together with some of
the original guys who were still alive to meet again and play some
music, That was it!

Well I thought, why not have a little jam session at the Stone Pony
in Asbury, after all it all began in Asbury 45 years ago, so that
made sense. So I had one of my staff call the Stone Pony and suggest
the idea to them to see if was even possible. Well in short Caroline
at the Stone Pony was so supportive of the idea, that it now seem
like it may be possible, so with her help we decided to put
this "Little Jam" together. But as I got into it, I realized that
there were more people than just a few who were responsible for the
creation of The Sound Of Asbury Park in the 60's. And why should they
be left out of this, after all they were the true creators of that
sound. We then put the word out to see how many of those original
players were in fact still alive and see if there would be interest
in joining in on this. The response was overwhelming to say the
least, names that I had not even though about started to surface and
the support of the get together was fantastic, everyone want a part
of it! Then the next step came when I thought "These guys had been
forgotten about for so long, Let's go the extra mile and have a
monument for the Creators Of SOAP, with all the original players
names on it and see if we can get it erected on the boardwalk so
everyone will always remember the players that worked night after
night on the Jersey Shore and pushed the musical envelope to create a
sound of music that history would look back on and remember how it
changed rock & roll forever.

Where will the monument be placed?
On the boardwalk next to The Convention Hall.

What was the reaction by Asbury Park towards the monument? Did you
have any trouble securing the location for the monument?
The city went way beyond the call of duty on this one, The city
manager Terry Reidy, and deputy mayor Jimmy Burno, went to bat on
this one and got it done period. I think they both realized the
importance of finally recognizing this contribution to music history
and the importance of it actually being created in Asbury Park along
with the people who created it, and their (Reidy, Bruno) personal
commitment to bring back Asbury Park to its former heyday, that this
was an important and first step that needed to be taken to recognize
the musical history of Asbury Park, and that history, the people who
wrote it and the times that were had during that era should never be
forgotten.

Why do you think it is important to remember Asbury Park's music
scene?
The sound, it's a blend of Rock, Pop, Doo Wop, Blues, Jazz, R&B and
somehow those early players put all those ingredients together,
That's what made the sound of Asbury Park, that is what the true SOAP
is all about.

In your opinion, is the history of Asbury Park's music important on a
national level as well?
National Level??? Try worldwide!!! Thanks to guys like Springsteen
who took those roots to a worldwide level, the sound of Rock & Roll
will never be the same. Bruce Springsteen alone took that early sound
of Asbury, he pushed the musical envelope, he dug deeper in the
music, and when he had it right he showed it to the world. And the
world of music has never been the same. The players that went on past
the 60's were responsible for perfecting that sound and bringing new
blood into the music scene, and for that reason alone The Sound Of
Asbury Park will keep reinventing itself to the end of time. But
remember this tribute and event is all about the players who started
that "fire".

Who are the musicians to be engraved on the monument?
Johnny Shaw, Billy Ryan, Bruce Springsteen, Garry Tallent, Steve Van
Zandt, Mickey Holiday, "Stormin'" Norman Seldin, Vini "Maddog" Lopez,
Fast Eddie "Doc Holiday" Wohanka, Billy "CherryBomb" Lucia, Clarence
Clemons, Nicky Addeo, Donnie Lowell, Jim "Jack Valentine" Cattanach,
Ken "Popeye" Pentifallo, Jay Pilling, John "Cos" Consoli, Gary "A"
Arntz, Larry "The Great" Gadsby, Steve "Mole" Wells, Ray Dahrouge,
Johnny "A" Arntz, David Sancious, Margaret Potter, Tom Potter, Sonny
Kenn, Tom Wuorio, Rick DeSarno, Southside Johnny Lyon, Leon Trent,
Buzzy Lubinsky, Danny Federici, Bill Chinnock., Patsy Siciliano, Sam
Siciliano.

How did these artists get chosen?
The process for being included in that SOAP event came about as
follows. Eight musicians were picked to start it off, and they had to
be major players in the 60's that were well known on the Asbury Club
circuit. Then their names were nominated to be placed on the
monument, at that point each new name was voted on to be included by
the names that were placed on the monument, in other words 8 nominees
started it off and as the names were approved the number of voting
members increased, so at the end there were 32 nominees voting. There
were 271 names that were nominated and only 32 fit the qualifications
to be included on this monument and they were all voted on by a
majority vote of the nominees already approved and as you can see the
list of names are pretty impressive. This may be the only time in
history that these players will be on one stage at the same time back
where it all began Asbury Park. Given the age and health of many of
this players, this will never happen again. This is truly a once in a
lifetime concert. It can never happen again.

It seems like a lot of the artists have moved to all parts of the
country. Is this sort of a homecoming party for many?
This is a return to where we started, this is the trip that no one
ever thought could happen and this is the concert that will be
remembered forever.

Do you get the sense that the artists are really excited to see
everyone again?
Everyone involved in this event is ready. This tribute to these
players is long overdue and once again this will be a once in a
lifetime event.

What do you hope happens after the monument?
I would hope that this would only be the start of the recognition of
the musical history that Asbury Park has and continues to be on a
worldwide level. And what we have started here will continue to grow
and honor all the musicians who have played and continue to play a
major part in the universal language called music. Those musicians
who were and still are willing to "step outside the musical box" and
create.

Do you have any further plans for the history to be remembered?
I'm sure once this door has been opened by the original creators as
they did with the music 45 years ago there will be those who will
walk through that door and take it to the next level just as they did
with the original SOAP, they will once again take the remembrance of
the musical history of Asbury Park, New Jersey and all who played and
continue to play a part in that history to newer heights.

Finally, Asbury Park is in the midst of a major redevelopment plan -
a plan that threatens a lot of the clubs currently in town. What are
your thoughts on the redevelopment?
The Mayor, City Manager and deputy Mayor, will not stop until they
have brought Asbury Park back to being the jewel of the Jersey Shore.
I have met with these talented people and I feel and have seen first
hand their passion for this redevelopment. THIS WILL

Do you think the music will be pushed aside for condos?
NEVER!!!!!!! That's what this tribute, concert and monument is all
about. From now until the end of time, that monument will stand on
the Asbury Park boardwalk and say "Dedicated To The Creators of SOAP"
that will never be replaced! And they will never forget. All the
profits from this concert are being donated in the name of "The
Creators Of SOAP" to two local charities in Asbury Park, 'The Mercy
Center' and 'Interfaith Neighbors'. We may have been forgotten in the
past, but we will leave a big foot print this time around!