>From Wikipedia:
"Goombah (sometimes Goomba) is a slang term regional to the New York area used
describe an Italian-American. It can be mildly derogatory, but not on the same
level as
dago, guinea or wop.
This slang term probably originates from the Italian word compare (or the
Sicilian cognate,
"cumpari", both akin to Spanish compadre), which was already (and still is)
used in south
Italy abbreviated in "compa'" and literally means "friend" and it is used
colloquially mainly
to address people living in the same town. This, changed through the
Italo-American
tendency to substitute c's for g's and p's for b's in colloquial speech, yields
"goombah."
Steve Schirripa, who became famous playing Bobby Baccalieri on the HBO TV
series The
Sopranos, introduced the term to a national audience by publishing a series of
books
starting with A Goomba's Guide to Life (ISBN 1-4000-4639-4). It appears in
popular
fiction at least as early as Mario Puzo's "The Godfather" (1969), in which the
character Jack
Woltz refers to "guinea Mafia goombahs."