While I wasn't able to attend last nights council meeting, i've read
about it the Asbury Radio website.
It sounds like the west side community is very much in support of Jim
Keady, and it also sounds like a growing divide between the east and
west exists.
Couldn't this be a prime moment in time to try and unite the two, for
their mutual benefit?
And isn't it possible that all of this anti-Keady stuff is doing more
harm then good?
Also, it sounds like the racial gauntlet was really thrown down last
night, but sadly, it doesn't sound like anybody is suggesting that the
violent faction of the west side take responsibility for their actions.
I agree that the west side has faced an uphill battle for decades, and
I also don't think any of us caucasians can understand what it's like
to be black and live on the west side. It's just not possible.
That being said, I think it's high time that our city begin to work
harder to become a more united place. I know some people are concerned
about property values and things like that, but isn't it a mistake to
make one areas potential prosperity the guiding force of the city?
Look at Atlantic City. It's a mess. A narrow strip of prosperity next
to horribly poverty. I'd hate to see Asbury become like that. There
has to be a way to address the needs of the east and west.
Isn't it possible to listen to the west sides support of Jim Keady?
He may be the most effective conduit in helping to unite both sides.
And I for one don't think Asbury will prosper until we can all stand
as one community, not two.