On 12/19/2006 at 10:57:06 A.M.,  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I saw plenty of people at  that S.O.A.P. show who were very excited to see
the artists they grew up with  that they hadn't seen live in decades.
Just an observation:  Several years ago, on eBay, I bid on a  vinyl LP album
I had never heard of called "The Sounds of Asbury  Park."  I was first
attracted by the great album cover art of the  boardwalk, but my favorite now
is the
narrative on the back, especially the  pre-Springsteen part.

At that time, it was one of the most furiously bid on items I ever
encountered at eBay.

Happy  Holidays!
_
========Original Message========     Subj: Re: [AsburyPark] untilllie the end
 Date: 12/19/2006 10:57:06 A.M. Eastern Standard Time  From:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])   To:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (mailto:AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com)   Sent on:

On Dec 19, 2006, at 8:14 AM, Traderdube  wrote:

> Hinge my boy, I just knew you were going to rant over Danny  boys
>  anti-Soap rant. I read the article and I am not ashamed to  say that
> for
>  all intents and purposes, I agree with Dan.  A plaque on the boardwalk
> is
>  almost as big a pile of krap  as the save tillie thing.

Yeah, I guess the idea of music tourism is  pretty dumb for a place like
Asbury Park where people have been coming from  around the world to
visit since the late 70s.  I'm a bit surprised by  your post, I know you
were around for the history when it was being  made.  When you break it
down the way you do you make it look like  Asbury Park was ridiculous to
put up a monument saluting a bunch of  musicians and people who helped
form the Asbury Park music scene and "sound"  that millions of people
love around the world.

Why?

Sure Bruce  Springsteen tops the list.  Guess what? Very few towns the
size of  Asbury Park will ever have one artist like Mr. Springsteen to
feel proud  of.  Asbury Park not only has Bruce but has Jon Bon Jovi,
Southside  Johnny, David Sancious, Steven Van Zandt, and Bill Chinnock
among its  legacy.   Southside Johnny's "Hearts of Stone" was voted by
Rolling Stone as one of the all-time top 100 albums once;  David
Sancious has recorded and toured with many of the top artists in the
world including Bruce, Eric Clapton, Peter Gabriel and Sting;  Steven
Van Zandt has not only re-emerged in recent years as an actor on the
Sopranos but his radio show is heard nationwide; and Bill Chinnock has
won Emmy Awards for his songwriting and was dubbed him "the real
essence  of American music" by John Hammond, Sr.

What's wrong with saluting some  of the people who were playing in the
clubs before and during these guys  ride towards fame?  Should history
only be written based on record  sales? Some of these artists have been
on top selling records and toured  with acts everyone has heard of, some
have produced Grammy nominated  records, and some have written and
performed songs in major Hollywood  films.   Amazingly, most of the
artists have continued to perform  to today.

I saw plenty of people at that S.O.A.P. show who were  very excited to
see the artists they grew up with that they hadn't seen live  in
decades.  There were also people there like me who wanted to see the
people who started everything here.  As many musicians pointed out,
there were few places around the country where bars were using LIVE
bands instead of jukeboxes.  Yes, the bands largely played covers
(until Bruce broke the mold in the late 60s) but SO DID EVERYONE ELSE!
Check out the songs on the early albums by The Beatles, The Rolling
Stones, Searchers, etc.  - everybody was covering songs in the early
60s.  Asbury Park was DIFFERENT because it became known for LIVE  MUSIC.

Some people disagree with me, but I am fairly confident that the
S.O.A.P. show would have sold out WITHOUT any Bruce Springsteen rumors.
The show was selling very well BEFORE the rumors started.  After  the
rumors hit, the show sold out within a few days.  This was about 1  1/2
months before the show.  People were still finding out about the  show.
I guarantee that fans and family members of the artists would have  been
interested in the show had they got a chance to hear about it.
Articles about the show were among some of the most popular read and
emailed on the Upstage Magazine website.  In fact, several family
members of one of the artists on the monument were quoted in the press
as just learning about the monument dedication and show a few days
prior.  They found out about it from the Upstage site as did many
people around the country.  Given the chance to buy tickets, I'm sure
they would have.

Let's face it, Dan J. has always hated not only the  Stone Pony but
music in general.  You do not.  I'm surprised that  anything that might
bring a few more people to the Asbury Park boardwalk is  such a bad
thing.  It takes up very little space.  It was paid for  by private
money.  Please explain to me why it's such a bad  thing.

-- Gary  Wien