On 1/2/2007 at 2:01:33 P.M.  Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:

My wife and I went through the  figures ... in schools that are K to 8, the
scores stayed rather steady  in each grade. In towns that had a separate middle
school for grades 6 to 8,  the test scores for those kids dropped
dramatically from when they were in  grade school.

To draw any conclusions simply from those two observations would be a
logical fallacy of cause and effect (Cum hoc ergo propter hoc).

The factors that contribute to quality education are many and  multi-faceted,
and this is probably the wrong forum to discuss them; however,  the numbers
in the charts you refer to are certainly only a piece of the  puzzle.

Any ideas?

I've got lots of ideas, some of them good.  Solutions?  That's a  $64,000
question.

_
========Original Message========     Subj: [AsburyPark] Need help from our
teacher  Date: 1/2/2007 2:01:33 P.M. Eastern Standard Time  From:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])   To:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (mailto:AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com)   Sent on:

Mario,

My wife and I went through the figures Dan posted about the  Math
grades all over Monmouth County.

We noticed that in schools that  are K to 8, the scores stayed rather
steady in each grade.

In towns  that had a separate middle school for grades 6 to 8, the test
scores for  those kids dropped dramatically from when they were in
grade  school.

Any ideas on why that would be the case? I understand in 6th  grade
there might be some new school nervousness, but the scores are lower
in 7th and 8th grade too.

Any ideas?