Thanks for posting this.  The plans below are the most comprehensive
and logical first steps I've seen to address more than just one
single element of the problem (ie. just enforcement).  Where are our
leaders from Monmouth County on this issue?  Who's providing the
leadership here to drive these kinds of initiatives?

While there are a couple of ideas here that are more controversial
than others, does anyone know how these proposals have been
received?  Many of these just make sense, plain and simple.

> Stopping gang violence requires multifaceted approach
> Posted by the Asbury Park Press on 01/21/07
> BY RONALD L. RICE
>
> After 9/11, the federal government took major steps to deal with
> foreign terror threats. Unfortunately, we have an even larger and
> more deadly terrorist group in New Jersey — violent gangs, whose
> members place no value on human life and have no respect for
families
> or property. Gangs are thriving in both inner cities and suburbs.
>
> Gangs are well equipped with advanced communications technology
and
> guns, and they are sophisticated in their use of street
intelligence
> to commit their crimes. I read newspaper stories every day that
> describe the growing gang problem in our communities. That is why
> ending gang violence is my top priority. Those news stories show
> there is a connection between gangs, guns, drugs, organized crime,
> money laundering, car theft, inmates, parolees and international
> terrorist activities.
>
> In order to address the problems associated with gangs and their
> crimes, we must understand the cause and use common sense and
> rational and sound judgment to develop solutions. The cost-benefit
> analysis is a no-brainer. We cannot afford to let these gangs
> continue to terrorize our communities.
>
> In the last legislative session, in an effort to develop a system
of
> information gathering for defeating gangs, I worked with Senate
> President Richard J. Codey and Sen. Nia H. Gill, both D-Essex, to
> create the Gangland Security Task Force.
>
> The task force consists of a diverse panel of experts who worked
> gather information on the conditions that further the formation
and
> operations of gangs. As a member of the panel, I realize this law
is
> a huge victory for New Jersey because it's beginning the process
of
> providing real solutions to gang problems. The committee's purpose
> was to deliver to the Legislature a model for gathering
intelligence
> on stopping gangs and a specific plan for preventing others from
> joining gangs.
>
> The task force's preliminary report calls for a three-pronged
> approach in the areas of intelligence, law enforcement and
> prosecution initiatives; prevention and intervention measures; and
> plans for re-entry and reintegration of former inmates.
>
> In the area of intelligence, law enforcement and prosecution, last
> year I sponsored the law that requires the sharing of gang-related
> information among police, prosecutors and the Legislature through
the
> Uniform Crime Report. The information will prove useful in
> quantifying the location, frequency and nature of gang activity.
>
> Gangs members, whether young or old, use guns. With my bill, S-
444,
> plea bargaining and sentence reduction for weapons cases involving
> minors would be prohibited. Another bill, S-1365, would address
the
> gang problem by establishing a gun court pilot program to expedite
> gun-related court cases in Essex and Mercer counties.
>
> As a way to deter outsiders from coming to the cities to buy
drugs, I
> sponsored S-449, which would require mandatory minimum terms of
> incarceration and fines for those who travel to another
municipality
> for drugs. To stop gangs from recruiting those in prison via cell
> phones, I sponsored S-448, which would toughen the penalty for
anyone
> caught possessing a cell phone in prison.
>
> In order to stop gangs, we need to cut off their supply of
members.
> If we can prevent children from joining gangs, and step in to help
> gang members get out and stay out, then we will make an impact on
the
> gang problem. Because children need safe places to go after
school, I
> sponsored S-1606, which would require the poorest school districts
> develop comprehensive after-school programs.
>
> We need to provide alternatives for children who have already
chosen
> the wrong path. Another bill, S-437, would establish a Juvenile
> Offender Community Conservation Improvement Services Program,
which
> would enable spiritual leaders and nonprofit organizations to get
> involved and help children develop a sense of ethics and positive
> values.
>
> Keeping people out of gangs means we need to remove some of the
> barriers to employment. Many employers are willing to hire former
> inmates but require a driver's license as a condition for
employment.
> All too frequently, people lose their license for reasons
completely
> unrelated to their driving record, such as unpaid parking tickets.
My
> bill, S-452, would open up employment doors by stopping the
> suspension of driver's licenses for failure to pay parking tickets.
>
> To address the re-entry concerns of the task force, I sponsored S-
> 434, which would permit certain criminal records to be sealed.
Many
> of us know someone who has served a prison sentence many years ago
> and has become a productive member of society. Unfortunately, many
> cannot find employment because of their record. This is double
> jeopardy for those who have already paid their dues. If we can
> eliminate this barrier to employment, we will provide an
alternative