Their job wouldn't be to fight crime, but to be eyes and ears and
simply add to security through their presence.  Provide some
training and some radios.

If you've got two uniformed people on every other street corner from
7-11pm, you'll make people feel safer and make the liklihood of
anything happening much much lower.  We could never afford that with
APPD, but we really don't need that level of training and capability
in those kinds of numbers.  Just presense of uniformed security.  If
there is lots of legitimate activity and uniformed eyes in an area
those who would do bad things will go elsewhere, regardless if those
in uniform are trained cops or HS Seniors with radios.

It would also help spread the benefits of AP's resurgence on the
east side across town more evenly by giving opportunities for summer
employment to those who otherwise wouldn't have any, while giving
the kids something to do other than hang out.

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, charlie leonard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> "No guns. No record. Must have good grades, etc... There's
> definitely ways to make it work."
>
>   no, i ment having the kids walk the streets would make it safe
for visitors againts possiable crime?  but what about the safty of
the kids? their not exactly trained in fighting of crime, if
anything should happen! good grades wont come in too handy.