I think it was last year or the year before they scored Dr. King's
son at the HS graduation.  I would have gone to see him if they had
played it up.  I only read about it when it was over.

I'd go see Tavis too if they could get him.

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Just wondering if our board of education has money budgeted to
bring
> speakers like Tavis to speak and inspire our students.
> =============================
> For Tavis Smiley, Promises to  Keep
>
> February 15, 2007
>
> One of the better-kept secrets in the U.S. is the  wide reach
and
> extraordinary commitment of Tavis Smiley.
>
> Mr. Smiley is reasonably well known as a media  personality.
He’s the  host
> of  a television talk show broadcast on PBS five nights  a week
and a weekly
> radio show. He’s also a regular commentator on the widely
syndicated
> black-oriented radio program “The Tom Joyner  Morning  Show.”
>
> But that doesn't begin to capture the ever-widening swirl of
activities,
> projects, programs and initiatives set in motion by  this
energetic,
> fast-talking, charismatic advocate and mentor, described by The
Times’s Felicia R. Lee
> as  “a cultural phenomenon.”
>
> Largely out of the sight of the broader public, Mr. Smiley has
quietly
> become one of the most effective black leaders in the  nation.
He’s always  in
> motion, giving speeches, meeting with national  leaders,
conducting annual
> seminars  on the “State of the Black Union” and  offering  how-
to tips on
> important  aspects of daily life for  African-Americans.
>
> Mr. Smiley constantly exhorts his followers and  admirers to make
better use
>  of the traditional tools of advancement - education, hard work,
citizen
> activism - to transcend the barriers of continued  neglect and
discrimination.

> Next June, thanks to Mr. Smiley, the major  presidential
candidates  will
> meet in a pair of prime-time debates on PBS - one for each party -
to focus  on
> issues of concern to African-American voters. That  has never
happened
> before.
>
> About a year ago Mr. Smiley, who has written several books, edited
> paperback titled “The Covenant With Black America.“  It’s a
guidebook, on  matters
> large and small, for African-Americans, offering information and
advice on
> issues that range from the importance of a healthy diet to closing
the  digital
> divide.
>
> No one, except perhaps Mr. Smiley, expected much  from the book.
There’s
> nothing in the way of pizzazz in it. There are no celebrity
scandals, no
> sex, no
> drugs, no rock ‘n’ roll.  “I said let’s put a book
together that’s easy
> to read,“ said Mr. Smiley, “and that lays out what  each
individual can do,
> what the community together can
> do and what the body  politic should do about these  problems.”
>
> Published by a little-known black-owned company in Chicago, Third
World
> Press, the book became an astonishing success,  rising to No. 1 on
the New  York
> Times best-seller list.
>
> “That book went to No. 1 without any mainstream exposure,”
said Mr. Smiley.
> “I didn't mention it on my NPR and PBS shows  because I don't do
that - I
> don't use the shows to promote things that I'm  connected to.
Other than  that,
> though, I drove the book as hard as I could.
>
> “But Oprah wouldn't touch it. “The Today  Show”  wouldn't
touch it. “Good
>  Morning America,” NPR, Larry King - not a single   mainstream
media outlet
> said  or did anything with that book. And it still  went  to No.
1. That tells
> me  that there is a hunger and a thirst in  black  America for
trying to turn
> this   mess that we are in  around.”
>
> For all of his 21st-century media savvy, Mr. Smiley is in many
ways  an
> old-fashioned, idealistic leader who has managed in  an era
saturated with
> cynicism   to cling to the eternal verities. His hero  is Dr.
Martin Luther King
> Jr. He believes it is still possible for  ordinary citizens  to
hold public
> officials   accountable. (“I'm  still baffled, befuddled,“ he
says, “by how the
> president did not even  mention New Orleans or  Katrina in his
State of the
> Union  speech.”)  He speaks openly about the importance of
bringing love  -
> yes,  love  -   into the public discourse.
>
> “When I was 13,“ he said, “I vowed to God that if I ever got
the chance to
> make something of myself, I'd spend the rest of my life trying to
love  and
> serve other people. I still believe that love is the most
powerful  and
> transformative force in the world today. I love  people and  I get
joy out of
> serving people.”
>
> The cynics, of course, will have a field day with this. But Mr.
Smiley,  on
> his way to catch a flight, or hop a train, or racing down the
highway  to his
> next event, will no doubt be too busy to notice.  He’s eager  to
do what he
> can  about the sorry state of the public schools in the big
cities, and the
> fact   that there are too few jobs that pay a living  wage, and
all manner of
> other  issues: child care, health care, the  environment.
>

> He is trying to do nothing less than generate a  movement among
black
> Americans that will “help make all of America better.”
>
> The companion volume to “The Covenant” was  published two
weeks ago.  It’s
> called  “the  Covenant in Action.”
>

> _For  Tavis Smiley, Promises to Keep - New York Times_
> (http://select.nytimes.com/2007/02/15/opinion/15herbert.html?
n=Top/Opinion/Editorials%20and%20Op-Ed/O