<<I wonder who made the demand. I think the city holds more responsibility
in this. Partners brought a business to the boardwalk. If the city demamded
him to close that is not the responsibility of partners. The counsilman
should not be annoyed that there is a bike shop on the boradwalk but the
real question is why is there so little pollice / security on the boardwalk.
I do not know what partners has to provide but the city should have police
in addition. I see it as the city driving away a business.>>

1.      Your post above is saying that the City asked for the Asbury Peddler
to be closed.  THAT IS FALSE.

2.      Your post above is saying that the City should have more
security/police on the boardwalk.  I would invite you to visit Mr. Kay in
the Clerk's Office and ask him for the tapes of the meetings where the
bicycle lanes on the boardwalk were discussed.  This is what you will hear:
I, Councilman Jim Keady, pushed for the creation of a designated bicycle
lane on the boardwalk that would be available for visitors 24/7.  I could
not garner support for this with the majority.  I made the argument that
having a bicycle lane available could be something we could market to
visitors.  I said, "We could let people know that AP is the ONLY boardwalk
in Monmouth County where you can ride your bike in a safe and regulated way
all day and night."  I also made the argument that a bicycle lane would
compliment the bike shop (Asbury Peddler) on the boardwalk.  Again, I could
not get the support of my colleagues to create the bicycle lane.

3.      Given that I could not get the full-time bike lane, I requested that
we extend the hours that were in the existing ordinance and allow people to
ride on the boardwalk until 12pm.  My colleagues supported this and it
passed.

4.      I also requested that regardless of what the policy was - a bike
lane, riding until 12pm, etc. that we have STRICT enforcement of the
ordinance.  We could not continue to have an "anything goes" approach to
bikes on the boardwalk.  I noted that on two occasions while I was running
on the boardwalk, I was almost mowed down by bicyclists (FYI, they were
middle-aged white male riders).  Given that I am a former pro athlete and
still in pretty good shape, I was able to dodge these guys.  My concern was
that some little old lady might not be as lucky, thus my push to have strict
enforcement of whatever ordinance was on the books.

5.      To review, Councilman Jim Keady wanted a designated bike-lane,
Councilman Jim Keady pushed and was able to get and increase in riding hours
until 12pm, and Councilman Jim Keady asked for strict enforcement of our
ordinance.

Again, if you question these facts, I would encourage you to go listen to
the tapes of the meeting or you could simply ask Deputy Mayor Bruno (aka
"Fred/Asburydogma") he usually has a fairly good memory on this stuff.

Now that we are done with the facts, I will offer my opinion.  I strongly
believe that the lack of vision on this matter on the part of my colleagues
(i.e. their not supporting my push for a full-time bike lane) is what cost
us a very successful business on the boardwalk.

I hope this finds everyone well.

Peace, JWK

Councilman James W. Keady

1 Municipal Plaza