After reading your post, I felt compelled to respond.  This may be
the second time I have ever posted to this board.  I joined for the
same reason as you, hoping to learn more about Asbury.  Once in a
while that purpose is served however; too often a very negative
picture is painted here.  I personally find this message board to be
a complete disservice for promoting this city.  It is truly sad
because anyone can view these messages.   While I do not know or even
understand the reason for this negativity I will share my experience
in this city.  I bought a home here about 3 years ago and never
intended to stay long.  Values were on the increase and I thought
this could be a stepping stone to someplace else.  At first I was
hesitant about even going into the downtown.  Things were different
then and on here you may read how nothing has changed but I find that
to be false.  I recall driving in this town and seeing boarded up
homes on block after block.  Now that is not so common and there is
so much construction.  Unsightly at times but the end results have
been improvements from what was there before.    I have met some
great people who truly care about this town.  I am fortunate to have
great neighbors, who keep an eye on the block and exhibit pride in
owning their homes.  I met some truly caring people who are part of
Stand Up For Asbury.  These members have given their time and money
all for protecting this city.   In short, I have met many new
friends.  Asbury is not just a place to live, it is a lifestyle.
There is always an event happening on Cookman, Stone Pony or the
boardwalk.  You can ride your bike or simply take a walk and
strangers will say hello as they pass.  All this and you will always
be close to the Atlantic Ocean.  There is so much in the city but it
is not so big that you would not get to know the store owners.  Yes,
there is some bad to Asbury but in my opinion that has significantly
decreased and hopefully will continue.  Anyway, my stay has gone from
short term to now not being able to see myself anyplace else.  I wish
you the best of luck and do not hesitate to contact me if you have
any questions.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/kOt0.A/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/Y2tolB/TM