When the state pays for the majority of school funding it eases the % taken out
of local taxes.....the city has quietly taken the difference...my question is
what has been done with it......check you taxes before Abbott and now...you
will see the city has benefitted...

dfsavgny <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:          --- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I'm trying to understand all this myself now.
>

> I found the breakdown for AP's taxes here: County, School,
Municipal, each
> in turn broken down further.
> _http://tax.co.monmouth.nj.us/pdf/Tr06.pdf_
> (http://tax.co.monmouth.nj.us/pdf/Tr06.pdf)

The general rate is the total tax rate comprised of county, school
and municipal rates. The local rate is the school and municipal rates.

> I've also been checking out these:
>

> 1. Seems like AP is way up there. Maybe because of all the bogus
tax-exempt
> "churches"; maybe because all the social services other towns
don't or
> won't offer:
> _Freehold Township : Comparison of Municipal Tax Rates_
> (http://www.twp.freehold.nj.us/e-
government/financials/comp_mun_rates.asp)

It is my experience that many low-income areas have high tax rates.
What is more important is effective tax rates, which I think your
following link addresses. What I think that is is measure what the
actual or nominal rate is based upon the promulgated av's and
equalization ratios and what the rate is based upon the equalization
rate (percentage of value represented by assessment or av). If you
were truly assessed at 100% of market value (which is a moving
target) the general rate and effective rate would be equal.

I don;t think it is going into the area of what you are actually
paying based upon what the "real" equalization rate is. For instance,
assume the equalization rate is 50%, meaning that if your av is
$200,000 the assessor says your property has a markey value of
$400,000. But if your property is really worth $600,0000, the real
equalization rate is 33.33%, and then even an effective tax rate
would be even lower considering this equalization rate.

Smoke and mirrors. What people want to know is how much am I paying
and what do I get in return. If you ask me, you pay a lot and get
little in this town. We pay so much because ou city spends so much.
Why do they spend so much? Man there is a lot of fat that needs to be
cut in this town. Too many old time families with connections in this
town on the city payroll. Who do you think a lot of those posters
were on this forum. I won't mention names.

Sad part is that the powers that be keep getting into office because
it is these old timers that do the voting. A lot of the new comers
(and I will include the past ten years) can't or don't vote here
because of various reasons. Too many entrenched interests in this
city government. That is why nothing improves. They want the status
quo to remain. Good feeding.

Need Mail bonding?