--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, Allan Peterson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Kate Mellina wrote an interesting article on the subject.
>
> BEHIND THE SCENES
> by Kate Mellina
>
>But the main reason I support Barbara is because she is fearless:
Several years back, when Asbury Park had what was arguably the worst
city council and Board of Education in its history, Barbara filed
successful ethics complaints against both of those bodies.
In return, she found herself (unsuccessfully) sued by the Board of
Education in federal court; her name was scrawled on a cemetery
headstone in an anonymous flyer; and the former city council (at least
three of whom have since been indicted and/or convicted on federal
charges) had their city manager banish her from the Police Department
to an out-of-sight job at the sewer plant. Barbara never caved in.

Want to explain, the REAL story?  That she accessed the driving
records, of her adversaries, who were ALL Black and had them
published?  She should have been fired, but was relegated to the shed,
where she no longer had access!

> In return, she found herself (unsuccessfully) sued by the Board of
Education in federal court.

Want to extrapoliate on that, too?  Tell the REAL reason, she was sued!

> Is there anyone I definitely wouldn't vote for? Yes, starting with
Gregory Hopson Sr.

Why?  Because he cares?  He's also a parent!  He's also Black!

despite a finding that the coach had sexually harassed another teacher.

Was this ever proven?

 anonymous flyers ----like the one of Butch Saunders, hanging from a
tree?  Heard your group had something to do with it!   Can't prove it,
though!

> Which is primarily why Asbury Park Fire Inspector and current Board
of Education Vice President Garrett Giberson surprisingly didn't make
my list:

I have no problem with Garrett!

Despite the availability of at least one other suitable candidate,
Giberson nominated Hopson for the school board position, seconded by
longtime school administration apologist Adrienne Sanders.

In other words, your way, or the highway, huh?

> While I can think of several political strategy reasons for such a
nomination, I can think of no rational one that would benefit city
children or their schools. I hope voters will ask Giberson for a clear
explanation before election day.
> I would also hesitate to support any candidate running with longtime
incumbent Adrienne Sanders. Sanders has been an ardent supporter of
suspended School Superintendent Antonio Lewis who, as I've previously
written, was strikingly ineffective and unresponsive as both
superintendent and middle school principal.

Now, you don't see him as effective!  Why?  I know of nothing he's
done or can be proved, except false allegations, by you!

> But, however you vote, please remember just how much your vote
really does count, particularly in school board elections where voter
turnout is abysmal. And your vote is particularly crucial now that the
state has loosened the rules for absentee ballots - a traditional
source of voter fraud in Asbury Park.

You should know!

> If you need more convincing, I hope you will also consult two
eye-opening Internet links:
http://education.state.nj.us/rc/rc05/dataselect.php?c=25;d=0100;s=010;lt=A;st=A&datasection=all
and http://www.monmouthhumanservices.org/Acrobat/Youth_Services_Data.pdf.
> The first is a detailed report card on Asbury Park schools, provided
by the NJ Department of Education. The second shows sobering
statistics compiled by the Monmouth County Youth Services Commission
on everything from city poverty levels to the rates of child abuse and
juvenile crime.
> Planning to be out of town on April 17? Call City Clerk Steve Kay at
732-502-5718 or the county election offices at 732-431-7785 for
absentee ballot forms and information. Mailed applications must reach
the County Clerk's office seven days before the election, or they can
be personally delivered until 3 p.m. on April 16.
> Finally, as Board of Education members struggle with this year's
budget and its affect on city taxes, I'd like to make one more
recommendation: A few years ago, the state Department of Education
reported that a former board attorney had improperly charged the board
by more than $300,000 during his relatively short tenure there.

If it's who I think it is, the City is lucky HE didn't sue, after
being acquitted of the false charges, lodged against him!  He's earned
every penny!

> The state ordered the board to recoup those fees, but former board
members never did. With tax hikes looming, now would be a good time to
ask the state Intervention Team for help in recovering that money.
> With any luck, board members could offer Asbury Park taxpayers the
best Tax Day refund they've seen in a long, long time.

Such bigoted remarks!