I wish there was a better way.

Here's one part that reminds me of unemployment:
>> Participants would get their money through automatic deposits, not
by attending a large gathering. (they would need bank accounts that
don't deduct a fee every month). Automatic deposit? How easy can they
make it? Under the New York plan, which is still being developed,
poor families would be paid up to $5,000 a year to meet goals like
attending parent-teacher conferences, getting regular medical
checkups and holding down a full-time job. <<<

How about giving me a $5,000 tax credit for\:
a) parent teacher conferences
b)medical checkups (my daughter is sick this week)
c)full time job, marriage, mowing the lawn, getting kids hair cut,
putting gas in the car,laundry etc etc

I'm all for helping, but it HAS to be based on work and get rid of
the incentive "the more kids you have, the more u get...".