--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, kerry butch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>This is Christian based mission. The background checks it performs
are screening and intakes. (It is illegal for the NJ State Police to
perform a criminal background check for a non profit organization for
the purpose of emergency shelter - but the media won't report that.)

The blanket of religion does not free JSM or any other group from
responsible behavior. They have the responsibility to ensure that the
people they are attracting and/or sheltering are not harmful to the
community they are located in. You suggest they have adequate funds.
Then why are they not using some of those funds to PAY for criminal
checks and screening by a reputable security company? There are
plenty that will do it for a fee. In that manner then, the NJSP will
not run afoul any laws.

>   If the Zoning Board votes this down, the City of Asbury Park will
once again end up in court racking up yet another legal tab. The
mission will prevail because of the statistical information regarding
the demographics of Asbury Park and Neptune. The mission has been
previously ruled by a judge as having an inherently beneficial use.

Is that last statement correct? Or did the judge rule that the zoning
board did not consider initially consider any inherently beneficial
use?

>   Calling the clergy that are in favor of the mission "radical
pastors trying to divide this city" is more than disrespectful.

Perhaps you should google Nunn and Lakewood.

> By typifying the clergy in support the mission this way, you are,
in essence, "race baiting" (ie Willie Horton style). Please stop.
That is what really divides our community.

In all due respect, it is you who is injecting "race" into the issue.