We may have touched on the beginnings of change here!  Every
successful company has a clearly defined 'vision' or 'mission
statement'.  Want to bet Wegmans* has one?  Yes, and here it
is: "helping you make great meals easy" .  I bet every employee knows
it, lives it, breathes it, even dreams about it in their sleep.  I
just checked www.asburypark.k12.nj.us to see what the mission of the
AP school district is.  WHAT A PILE OF MANURE!  It had to have been
written by a committee.  It has lots of cool educational jargon,
convoluted phrases, and flowery words amounting to zilch.  Don't they
use 'grammar check'?  My freshman English teacher would have had red
ink all over this mess.

How about this for a new vision: "We make learning fun and easy."
Just imagine the kind of schools you could build around a foundation
like that.  Teachers would be encouraged to innovate and use their
creativity; we could demonstrate the respect we have for the families
who entrust us with their children; we could reward people for
rooting out waste and demonstrating how to get the most out of our
tax dollar.

What about test scores?  Test scores, schmest scores!  All the tests
have ever shown us is that low-scoring students live in Asbury Park.
It doesn't take a test to observe that!  Are they going to stop
funding the schools if the kids don't pass and bus them to Rumson,
Wall, Colts Neck, and Holmdel?  Hell, no!

Let's get out there and find a new leader with VISION

* Wegmans Food Markets, Inc. is a 70-store supermarket chain with
stores in New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Virginia and Maryland.
The family-owned company, founded in 1916, is recognized as an
industry leader and innovator. Wegmans has been named one of the '100
Best Companies to Work For' by FORTUNE magazine for ten consecutive
years, ranking #1 in 2005. In 2007, Wegmans ranked #3 on FORTUNE's
list.

Post Script: Good thing I don't work for the school district because
thinking like this will get you fired--or at least harassed!