"Preservationists are highly misunderstood. The usual battle cry from
the opposing side it that preservationists want to hold back progress,
cling to the past, live in a museum, etc.

Such descriptions are inevitably those of the ignorant and ill-informed."

       Good points.  I think most people on this list understand what
preservation is.  Although i guess there are some who do not.  I just wanted to
point out that while we want to restore some of these buildings, we dont want
to "restore" them to the point that their unsuable (like a museum).  The
restored use should use all the potential the buidlnig has to offer.  We dont
want to miss chances by holding back, because of being overly historicaly
correct.
       You dont want to restore something, so accurate, that it wont work with
todays building standards, or buidlnig usages.  For example, the new Paramount
entrance is huge, and can handle large lines of people.  The old one, while not
the orignal, was small and cramped everyone up outside.