I think part of the problem is that we here in AP have our own
perception of living in the city. For me, it's not  bad at all. I love
living in AP. And as a resident, i'm quite happy to be hopeful about
the future and proud to be part of the community.
The same is simply not true for people from the outside.
Many are scared of our city. It's still stigmatized from years of
failure. The crime stats will definitely keep people from considering
a move here, as will the school situation. And when potential
residents take a chance and drive into the city, yes they see a work
in progress, but they are also met with street people wandering
around...having people ask for money at the 7-11, garbage everywhere,
grafitti etc. I truly think that the people who believe that
oceanfront redevelopment will magically make those things go away are
being way too optimistic.