I'm very familiar with the BS the credit agencies/banks pull on
people.  Particularly with the point loss (7 points) for credit
inquiries.

Their thinking is if someone pulls your credit, you are looking for
money, which makes you a bigger risk, so they can knock off 7 points.
Of course, that's not always the case.

I use a Pitney Bowes postage meter at my office.  I had a $300.00
credit line with them.  I would fill the machine with $300.00, but
instead of making monthly payments, I would just pay the whole thing.

After a year, THEY CALLED ME  and said, "Tom, you are a great payor.
We'd like to bump up your limit to $800.00. We're faxing you the forms
right now."  They did bump me up, but before doing so, they pulled my
credit.  So my score dropped 7 points for the inquiry, and then even
more points because I now had a higher credit line.

So I got punished for being a good payor.

Another hit was when my wife bought an appliance from Sears.  "If you
open a sears accound Mrs. D, you save 5%."

Great! Another 7 points for the inquiry, and more points off because
we have a Sears card.

I'm all in favor of congress passing some rules about this crap.