Definitely some good points in there, although the report seems more
targeted at terrorism then reducing street crime.
In my opinion, the problem that our city needs to overcome is negative
public perception. A vast majority of the people I know who don't live
in our city have a negative perception of the city. We've all heard
the "Beirut by the Sea" comments and things like that, and for the
most part that image is pretty much gone. The bigger problem is the
crime issue. Many people are just plain scared of our city. Case in
point...i'm going on a vacation to Europe next month, and i'm trying
to find somebody to stay at my house for the week so they can watch my
dog. Every person I've asked so far (women) has said no because they
say that they'd be afraid to walk my dog at night, worried about their
car, etc.
Next, and I don't know how much weight this has, but whenever the APP
publishes an article about a crime in our city, and that article has a
link to a message board so people can talk about it, the posters trash
our city, call it a mess, call for it to be demolished, raise the gang
issue, and on and on. And that perception isn't just limited to people
 who read the APP. I have many friends in NYC who feel the same way. I
have one friend who writes for the Village Voice as well as doing tons
of freelance, and she's echoed that same feeling to me...that the many
years of bad PR that our city has received, mostly because of the
murders and drug problems that have plagued the city for nearly 30
years, stays more in peoples memories then any of the good things
happening here.
That's why I think a well publicized surveillence system would help us.
I also think that the sad divide between east and west gives people
cause for concern. In my optimistic world, i'd love to see a campaign
that blankets the west side with the concept of making AP an example
of change, that promotes people to have pride in our city, and to
fight social and other crimes in their communities...literally say to
the world...We Care about our city, and we are committed to making AP
a safe and attractive place to live, for all the people.
Personally, I think AP is filled with many great people, and it's
ashamed that the drug dealers, gang members, welfare families, street
people and assorted crazies ruin it for the majority. I truly believe
there is much more good then bad in our city, and it really frustrates
me when I have such a hard time convincing people of that...and that
is something I try to do all the time.
It seems like the prostitution problem is waning, which is a great
thing, but I think the drug problem is still a huge issue. AP needs to
lose it's reputation as a place to go score drugs, and it's had that
reputation for decades. I think our PD is doing a pretty great job at
this, and it's about time that the publicity machine starts letting
the outside world know about the progress in things such as these.