"The law would allow cohabitating same-sex couples—and hetero couples in which at least one partner is older than 62—to register as domestic partners with the state attorney general's office. Domestic- partnership status would give each partner the right to make decisions if the other is incapacitated, such as arranging funerals and authorizing autopsies. It would also prevent hospitals from denying gay people access to a partner's hospital room—something that can happen when the state does not formally recognize a relationship."

http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Content?oid=171519