> Posted by the Asbury Park Press on 09/4/07
>
> BY NANCY SHIELDS
> COASTAL MONMOUTH BUREAU
>

> ASBURY PARK — Werner Baumgartner, an Asbury Park historian, is
serving a 45-day
> sentence in the Monmouth County Jail in Freehold Township after
Municipal Judge Mark T.
> Apostolou held Baumgartner in contempt of court on an earlier order
to remedy code
> violations at his home.

    Not a bad article, but quite incomplete.  When Werner is sprung
whether soon or not, he will be able to explain in detail just what he
presented, or tried to present, to the court on Friday.  I ask that
until he is able to speak about how many hoops he has already jumped
through to settle this, you reserve judgment.  Nancy's article clearly
sets out the code enforcer's argument, but not all of the facts about
what transpired in court this past Friday.  Of course, if Werner has
not complied with previous orders (and he can explain better than I
what he has done), there was still no reason to incarcerate him when
confining him to the house until he completed the work or sentencing
him to community service would just have been so much more logical.
Of course it was easier to shut him up in Freehold because they could
not "shut him up" in Asbury. I think the Constitutional issues here,
especially the 4th Amendment case, will be most enlightening.  Some of
those who are reveling in his present situation may not be rejoicing
for long.
                                        Frank D'Alessandro