Re: Berkeley Carteret Hotel

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "dsher4" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I hear you on keeping it unique, but those are all generalities
and
> not solutions to what it should look like and how you should take
> advantage of asbury's intrinsic asssets as it relates to this
> structure. I'm just curious how you think that should be done at
the
> Berkeley. Also who knows what they have planned for restaurants
> events etc...

Generalities and guidelines form the basic path to end product, so
yes they do matter.

As to the BCH - It's one of very few rmaining pre-depession era
structures in the country, most of which have been razed in the name
of "progress".

It is characterized by intricate brickwork, cast stone, plasterwork,
tarrazzo, etc. All indicative of the quality construction and
architechture practices of the 1920s.

The "roaring 20's", a time of prosperity and leasure who's evidence
is disappearing around the country at an alarming rate. A major high
point in Asbury Park is the 1920-1940 timeframe.

That should be used as the basis for building upon since many of the
structures from that era still exist.

I think most people do not understand preservation economics and
have a 'knee-jerk" reaction to the topic, assuming that it is
advocating keeping things old. That is certainly not the case.

The new should co-exist with history, not destroy it. Funky, new
spaces in classic buildings are fine until one realizes that it just
becomes cookie-cutter, and the funkyness becomes like the generic
shopping mall.

The BCH (and Asbury Park in general) is best treated in a way that
builds upon its unique design and architecture.

Werner

"Porch" (my jail name)