On the way to band practice tonight, I took a look at Wegmans...and it is in
fact ugly.
While I love Wegmans, the architecture is pretty bad. Another terrible
building, in my
opinion, is the new Sipersteins in LB, where the old bowling alley used to be.
Sadly, this is a trend here in NJ, and probably much of the US. Pedestrian,
boring ugly
architecture that lines our highways and byways.
Many years ago, the APP published a letter to the editor that I wrote lamenting
the loss of
the Circle Drive In Theater in Eatontown. It was replaced with condos. In that
letter, I
mentioned that NJ is becoming much like the background in a Flintstones
cartoon.
Whenever Fred and company went for a drive, they passed the same rock, tree,
building,
rock tree building over and over.
And that's what makes me sad about the future of AP. I know the redevelopment
is going
to make something good about empty spaces, and bring new blood and life into
the
city...but, based on the designs i've seen, AP will be just another Disneyesque
wonderland,
if you like those kinda things.