I refused to donate money to the year-long 110th Anniversary
celebration (and I was solicited).

I know many of you won't share my reason why (some might).

I didn't donate because of calling the Chirstmas holiday "Winter
Carnival."   It isn't religion - its about American culture that
hasn't chnaged for 200 years (until now).

Don't mean to start a flame war over it.

Just saying why I didn't give.  I'm sure I didn't break the bank by
not giving.

It is however, as they say, what it is.

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, Allan Peterson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> From the press today.  I don't know if Jewell is responsible for
the website too, but changes should have been made long ago.

> City raises concerns over event marketing
> Posted by the Asbury Park Press on 09/13/07
> BY NANCY SHIELDS
> COASTAL MONMOUTH BUREAU
> ASBURY PARK — The city has a new event coming up Sept. 29 — an
Apple Harvest Festival downtown — that some officials seem genuinely
excited about.
> But before agreeing to have the event, the City Council last week
made public some members' concerns about how a yearlong marketing
venture called "Celebrate Asbury Park" has turned out so far.
> Created by the city's marketing company, Jewell Marketing
Associates, the monthly events, some new and some old, were bundled
together under a 110th anniversary of the city's incorporation date.
> The money for the events came from sponsors, with the largest
contribution, at least $100,000, from beachfront developer Metro
Homes of Hoboken.
> The problem, Deputy Mayor James Bruno said Wednesday, is that
organizers, such as himself, of established events, such as his
Fourth of July parade, agreed not to go after the usual sponsors —
developers and lawyers — who had funded their events in the past.
> "We were told not to raise any money this year, that we didn't
have to," Bruno said.
> "We were told she (company head Laura Jewell) was going to raise
$300,000 to $400,000, and that would have covered all the events,
all the management fees," Bruno said. "But they fell short."
> The events included the popular festivals already in motion in the
city, such as the Taste of Asbury Park, the longtime Jazz Festival,
Bruno's Fourth of July Parade, and Mayor Kevin Sanders' Mayors Ball
coming up Oct. 13.
> The new events that have taken place included a 110th anniversary
party last April, a citywide arts festival May 26 that did not draw
well, and an open house for home buyers a few Sundays ago.
> Bruno also opposed Jewell Marketing getting up to $10,000 to
manage an event and the company getting a certain percentage fee of
the money raised from donors.
> "My job is to promote the city every which way I can," Jewell
said. "As the public relations person for the city, I don't feel I'm
in a position to comment on this at this time."
> The council last week addressed some of the issues, and agreed to
go forward with the apple festival but limit Jewell's management fee
to $5,000.
> Councilman Jim Keady asked that some changes be made in how the
events are marketed and suggested that the city churches be invited
to participate in the upcoming apple festival.

Yahoo! FareChase.