The American Legion, Department of NJ, opened Veterans Haven, in
Cumberland County, back in 1994.  I was Unit Auxiliary President, from
94-96.  We had them into our Post for a Thanksgiving meal.  They were
mostly men, but there were 3 females.  I'll just say this.  One Lady,
returned from a tour of duty with the US Navy, to find her family
gone, (moved) and left no forwarding address.  Finding Veterans Haven
through the VA, was a lifesaver for her.  They started with 22 cots
and that was it.

Donations poured in from all 21 Counties and all 225 posts, thoughout
New Jersey.  They were able to buy chests of drawers, mattresses,
linen, etc.  In the subsequent years, 2 vans have been purchased air
conditioners and a complete kitchen.  They are located on the grounds
of Ancora and those veterans with pyschiatric and alcohol problems are
housed within the hospital there.

Veterans Haven, became one of the Legion and Auxiliary's pet projects,
through our Veterans Administration and Rehabilitation program; VA&R,
for short.  Through our year-round funds at the State level, we're
able to keep this vital shelter, open and a safe haven, while they
rehabilitate.  All veterans have a shared experience of having served
their country in time of war and peace.  I can't help but bawl like a
baby at some of the stories they tell.

Our job is to let them know they are not forgotten and we're here to
help give them a hand up, instead of a hand out!  It's the least we
can do for our brothers and sisters, in arms.  If you're still free,
THANK a Veteran!  Thease are the only reasons, I was interested in the
JSRM, because 1 in 5 homeless is a Veteran, mostly lost and turned
out!  No, I DON'T think that Asbury Park, should be a dumping ground
for ANYTHING!  I'm just saying that my argument is valid and I want to
be respected for that, is all!  I see them and say "There, but for the
Grace of God, go I"!

Don't think I'm not feeling what you're saying.  I agree, mostly, but
Jesus said, "If you do for the least of MY brethren, you do it for ME!
What if Jesus came to your door and you turned HIM away?  All I'm
saying is allow the mission to operate and any infringements, should
be taken seriously, as in shutting it down!  If you can have The
Center for Aids in AP, why not the mission, for Alcoholics and drug
offenders?