Tonight, Tuesday October 16th at 7:00 p.m., the Asbury Park Zoning
Board of Adjustments will meet to decide the matter of the variances
issued to the Jersey Shore Rescue Mission.

Asbury Park must not become a human dumping ground for New Jersey's
unwanted alcoholics, drug addicts, criminals and mentally ill. The
JSRM chose Asbury Park for its religious crusade not simply because
it is easily reached by train and bus. It chose Asbury Park because
it believed that our council and boards would simply role over. It
chose Asbury Park because it believed that the people of this city
would not Stand Up to defend their interests.

In recent years, religious institutions have become very powerful.
New laws passed by Congress have emboldened them to assert that land
use laws that apply to private citizens and businesses somehow do not
apply to them. Powerful lobbies and legal groups funded largely by
evangelical foundations intentionally intimidate cities by
threatening costly legal battles. These groups make facetious legal
arguments claiming that denying land use variances is tantamount to
denying the free exercise of religion. The City of Asbury Park will
no doubt face this hurdle in the future. But for now, the Asbury Park
Zoning Board of Adjustments has the legal and moral responsibility to
defend the quality of life, security and future prosperity of the
citizens of Asbury Park.

You are urgently requested to attend this hearing tonight.  Your
presence is a signal to the Board that this Mission must not be
allowed to dump the problems of the New Jersey on the streets of
Asbury Park.

Please forward this message to anyone concerned about the future of
Asbury Park.

To donate to our legal fund via PAY PAL visit our website:

www.standupforasbury.org

Thanks as always for your support.

Paul Vail
Asbury Park