State fines Asbury Park $35,000 for sewage  discharge into ocean
Posted by the _Asbury Park  Press_ (http://www.app.com/)  on 10/23/07
BY _TODD B. BATES_ (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])  AND _NANCY SHIELDS_
(mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
STAFF WRITERS
The state has fined Asbury Park $35,000 for discharging partially  treated
sewage from its sewage treatment plant into the ocean on  June 5.

The city estimated that about 250,000 gallons of  partially treated
wastewater were released after a sewer line  collapsed, according to a state
Department
of Environmental  Protection document released today.

No staffers were on duty  after 5 p.m., plant workers didn't find the problem
until about 7  a.m. on June 5 and officials didn't post warning signs on
beaches as  a precaution until hours later.

But the discharge from the  1,700-foot outfall had no effect on beach-water
quality, an official  has said.

"I'm encouraged'' that the DEP is using enforcement  to "keep compliance in
the forefront,'' said Cynthia A. Zipf,  executive director of Clean Ocean
Action, a Sandy Hook-based  coalition. But treatment plants should be
supervised at
all times,  she said.

DEP spokeswoman Darlene Yuhas said "the DEP  licenses operators of sewage
treatment plants and we issue permits  which specify how these facilities must
be
run. When violations  occur, we take action.''

The Asbury Park plant's discharge  violated the Water Pollution Control Act,
and the unpermitted  discharge is considered a "major'' violation, according
to the DEP  document.

The city can request a hearing and city officials  said they will use
whatever appeal or review process is available to  them.

"The plant had been inspected just a couple of months  prior to the
incident,'' said Terence Reidy, city manager. "The  brackets gave way, but
within a
couple of hours, the whole thing was  under control.''

Technically, there was an illegal discharge  and the city is not arguing that
point, Reidy said.

"I guess  the issue is that you have a city like Asbury Park doing everything
 in its power to do the right thing and has a staff doing the right  thing
and you have this fluky break ... and get everything back to  normal in 48
hours,'' Reidy said. "My position is simple. We'll take  the opportunity to go
through the appeal process so we can tell our  story. .‚.‚. It's not like we're
some outlaw sewer  plant.''

Garrett Giberson, city director of public works,  said it was the first
violation for the city since its sewer plant  went on line in July 1988. And
when
the water was tested after the  break, the parameters "were well below the
level that would indicate  pollution,'' he said.

The DEP found no negligence on the  city's part, he said. Since the pipe
broke, the city spent $50,000  to repair it and also put in a bypass pipe so
the
plant does not  have that problem again.
Copyright © 2007 Asbury Park  Press. All rights reserved.
Users of this site agree to the _Terms of Service_
(http://www.app.com/terms/)  and _Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy
Rights_
(http://www.app.com/privacy/)  (Terms updated March 2007) Site design by
_Asbury Park Press_
(http://www.app.com/)  / _Contact  us_
(http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=CONTACTUS)

NEWS AND  INFORMATION WITH A UNIQUE TWIST
The Brown Report on the Electric News
weeknights a 7 est._www.electricnews.com_ (http://www.electricnews.com/)
KEVIN BROWN ALSO  PUBLISHES
_www.njeminentdomainabuse.com_ (http://www.njeminentdomainabuse.com/)