The Husband of the Republican Candidate Mary Pat Angelini is the one
who fought to put on The Laramie Project at Ocean Township High
School.

Be careful of jumping to conclusions about who stands for what
before the debate.

I have an interesting story about local politicians and equilizing
gay rights (well, I think it's interesting).

Two years ago when the Democrat Candidates for assembly were Doherty
and Reilly, they appeared at Club Paraidise with Barney Frank and
Frank Pallone, and had a rally for equalizing Gay's rights and
raised money from the Gay Community. It was a big deal, reported in
lots of papers.

It made me curious that Doherty and Reilly had never made a public
comment about Gays (our dear friend Joe D was curious too).

I called the Doherty and Reilly campaign and flat out asked them if
they were for equalizing the rights of Gays by letting them marry.
They absolutely wouldn't answer the question at all. Their manager
babbled about civil unions, but refused to broach the subject of
marriage, no matter how often I asked.

I called Barney Frank's office.  I set up my inquiry as more of a
complaint:  "Does Barney Frank know he just helped raise money from
Gays, for two guys who don't believe in marriage equality?"

I was hoping for a "gotcha" moment.  I was wrong.  Barney Frank's
staffer was impressive.  His answer was, "So what.  Barney has to
deal with lots of Democrats who get that issue wrong.  It's not the
only issue that's important, so he'll still support Democrats."

The complete honesty of the answer, the lack of any waffling like
Doherty and Reilly's guy did, kind of knocked me on my butt. It
showed the difference between a professional political staffer and a
hack. It also derailed any ideas I had of writing a column about
Barney Frank being a hypocrite (it's tougher in the big leagues!).

I called Frank Pallone's office in Washington.  I asked for his
opinion on marriage, and I made clear, in my best accusatory
voice, "Does Pallone support Civil Unions or marriage?"   The answer
was one word, "Marriage."   Although I don't dig Pallone, I'll admit
this was more honesty and professionalism from his staff.  No
hypocricy story for me to write about Pallone, either (I wallowed in
my own disappointment for days).

Doherty and Reilly never spoke publically about Gay Marriage.  Joe D
asked them to put a pro-gay statement in their ads that listed their
stances, and they refused him.  Joe D didn't trust them either.

This past summer I was at a party with someone who worked with one
of them (I won't say Doherty or Reilly).  This person told me the
candidate was a huge homophobe in private. It was a joke where they
worked.

Moral to this story:  Don't pre-judge any candidate on the issue,
but at the same time, be super inquisitive at the debate.  Don't
accept diversionary rhetoric from anyone. Keep them all honest.

Sorry if I'm rambling.  I have the flu and I've been up all night.

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "rogerpoulard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>