Tonight's Special BOE meeting could not be held since adequate
notice had not been sent to the newspapers of record.  Instead, the
regular monthly meeting for November, scheduled for Wednesday, Nov.
28, will begin at 6:30 PM to give the Commissioner of Education and
the public the extra time necessary to discuss the State monitor's
report.  Had we held the meeting without adequate notice, we would
have been in violation of the Open Public Meetings Act.  We try to
observe all laws, even Murphy's.  Tonight the local ministers from
"Neptune/Asbury" had neatly lettered signs denouncing the BOE and
claiming we were hurting the children, and former Board member
Antoinette (Toni) Ross passed around hand written petitions demanding
that most BOE members (including yours truly) be removed. The Board's
attorney made the announcement concerning the inability to proceed
with the meeting and the apologies to the people assembled.  All in
all it was a very Asbury experience.  Speaking for myself, I likened
it to an amateur performance of "Waiting for Godot."  Beckett would
have been proud.

                                         Frank D'Alessandro, BOE member