Dennis I agree on the government holding up the works on development.

I wrote a column years ago about it (then several follow-ups)with
reference to the waterfront.

Developers had to get the Cafra permit, and appear before the City
at the Planning Board, Techinical Review Committee and City Council,
and then get bounced back and forth between the various boards.
Then there is the permit and inspection process.

The beachfront would have been developed much faster without all of
that, if we let the people with the expertise in building, build.

Carter Sackman once told me that when his company re-developed
Journal Square in Jersey City, they had to appear before the
government  -  once.

But alas, Asbury Park is a City where the idea of more and more
government controls on business was embraced instead of shunned.
What sort of political background allows for that again?

Also, AP wanted folks who were not investing to have a say over the
money of people who were investing.  That's why people like you
Dennis were forced to bring your plans and genuflect before people
sitting on boards who never hammered a nail in their life.

The end result is what you got Dennis - government delay, delay
delay, until we ran headfirst into the wall of a national real
estate collapse.

But at least the government got to maintain control of it all.  That
was important.

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "traderdube" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Gives you many minutes to ponder.....
>
> RE: AP needs money: All the ideas presented were execellent. Here
is
> one that, because of the new people in the building dept., is
> underway. It is, become much, much, much more developer friendly.
> When we undertook the makeover of the 300 block of 4th Ave,
possibly
> the worst block in the city, the city cost us at least 12 months.
> Between fighting for permits, getting harassed by zoning, and zero
> help from anyone in city hall, 2 condo projects that could have
> meant over 90 new tax paying homeowners, the delays caused our
sales
> to start right when the market started to turn. Instead of
welcoming
> the developers, Fasano, Sigmund and Gifford, they were treated as
if
> they were thieves in the night. City officials should have
> celebrated the projects and got behind them. The end result, 304
4th
> ave ended up in auctions and, sadly, the building is reverting to
> the mess that it was prior to our cleaning in up. I am a very big
> fan of Terry Reidy, but I put the bulk of the blame on him.
Despite
> our constant begging of him to step in and assist us, he did not.
> Yes, we deserve a portion of the blame. Stupid arrogance did get
in
> the way. But when you venture millions of your own money, albeit
> make money, there should be some give and take. Again, I believe
if
> we started this project under the new building department
personnel,
> the project would have evolved the way we imagined.
>
> RE: Hamilton and the drfiveway. I had the same thing happen to me.
> Gypsy pavers offered to pave my driveway(in Oceanport) for $700.
> Once they got started it became $3200. I threw them off my
property
> and have enjoyed the hald a driveway they paved.
>
> RE: House of Blues. I ask you, is there anyone more connected than
> our very own Dan S?
>
> RE: Moving city hall to the west side. How is this not a no
brainer?
> The West Side of AP has been neglected since day 1. The people who
> live there have earned and deserve this. Get the project moving
and
> eff the whole idea of a redevelopment poroject. Make the vacant
land
> available, make it available to minority buyers t incredible
> incentives and get the governing ding bats out of the way and
allow
> captalism, you all remember good old American capitalism, to take
> over. within a very short period of time, Springwood Ave and the
> West Side will be transformed into a vibrant, money making
> community. The nicest people live on the west side, again, they
> deserve this.
>
> RE:The Baronet. Fishman bought the theater promisin(at council
> meetings) and to the seller, Fasano, that he would keep the
Baronet
> going. He chased us away and the theater is quickly falling into
the
> state it was in when we bought it. I tried to discuss the logical
> idea of developing the Baronet, Fast Lane and Asbury Lanes, along
> with the Pryor Pavillion, into what it is. Agenuine Historical
Arts
> District that would be a great tourist draw for the entire city.
> Larry Fishman refuse my calls, never returned a acall, and when I
> did finally get to speak with him, he continued his lying ways.
The
> most important thing that can happen is for thsi lying, no account
> piece fo garbage to be ridden out of Asbury on a rail. He has done
> the city immeasurable harm. Thankfully, we were able to broach the
> idea to Gary Mottolla and he was morfe than receptive. Again,
> Fishman remains in the way.
>
> RE: The Blue Bishop football team. Get behind them. These guys,
> despite the overwhelming odds, are the epitome of champions. While
> we're at it, we should embrace APHS's glorious sports tradition.
The