Last year a guy in the Lower East Side in NYC recently got Fresh
Direct to service his street just by organizing the tenants and
calling Fresh Direct.

Again, I don't know if this is even something AP residents and
week-enders need.  Myself, I'm still working my way down the South
American corn aisle at SuperExtra.  And can I just say, Peruvian corn
rocks!  But in the unlikely event that I get sick of the beach and we
rent out our place for the summer, I suppose it might help.

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In a message dated 11/29/2007 10:03:30 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> It  said that when prospective buyers balked at the lack of quality
food
> markets  the deal could still be sealed if Fresh Direct served the
neighborhood.
> Do  we get Fresh Direct in Asbury?
>
> Looks like they only service the NYC area zips:
>
> _FreshDirect -  Our Delivery Zones_
> (http://www.freshdirect.com/help/delivery_zones.jsp)
>

> Or does this not apply because in Asbury everyone has a car and  they
> just go to Wegmans?
>
> Although I'm a fan of Wegmans, Delicious Orchards is still the place
 to go
> for the freshest produce.  A former student who works there tells me
 that each
> night, huge amounts of day old perishable produce is given away to
employees
> or food banks when practicable.
> I've never found wilted anything there.  And, like Wegmans, if you
stay away
> from the yuppie exotics and specialties, their prices are not higher
 than at
> the supermarkets.
>
> Actually, I'd welcome another Green Market try in AP.  The Greek
family that
> gave it a go at Fifth and Main a few years ago were very personable,
 but
> they folded.
>
> New York City facilitated the Green Market at Union Square which is
now
> quite famous as a city farmers' market and very popular.
> When it started in the mid-seventies, most people were afraid to go
there
> because the neighborhood had a bad rep.
>
> They're so profitable now that they too are able to donate (to City
 Harvest)