This type of crackdown has to continue until it the APP reads that
someone got arrested for jay-walking.

APPD:

ASBURY PARK — As part of a crack-down on gun- and gang-related
crimes, city police and
county detectives broke up a gang-related meeting before it could
start, arrested a
dozen people on various charges, and seized a gun and more than 100
bags of heroin, authorities said.

In another investigation, the same two units raided a city home,
seized marijuana and two guns, and took eight people - including two
juveniles - into custody on weapons and drug charges, the city police
chief said.

And in a third investigation, police recovered an assault weapon that
was stashed in the bushes on Sunset Avenue, according to Chief Mark
Kinmon.

"I think that the work that is being done between the County
Prosecutor's Office and our department, specifically our Street
Crimes Unit, is a sign of just how serious we are taking violent
crime and gun possession and gun-related crime in the city,'' Kinmon
said.

His department is devoting staffing and resources to the issue, he
said. Gun-related arrests in Asbury Park have increased in the last
month, although it is still too early to tell how much that has
lowered the number of shooting incidents in the city, he said.

""But the message here is, we're getting to these guns and getting
them off the
streets before they're being used,'' Kinmon said. "We want people to
know, if you're
involved (in this sort of activity), you are going to be arrested.
We're going to be
relentless in pursuing people involved in these types of crimes.''

Last week, Asbury Park's Street Crimes Unit and members of the
Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office Gang Task Force, developed
information about a group of people who were going to meet at the
Lincoln Village public housing complex off of Memorial Drive, said
Kinmon.

Around 8 p.m. Thursday, police broke up that Bloods gang-related
meeting before it could start and took a dozen people into custody,
he said.

Sarparo Handberry, 22, of Elizabeth Avenue, in the city, was charged
with unlawful
possession of a handgun - a loaded .45-caliber semi automatic gun,
Kinmon said.

Saaul Montalvo, 31, of Arlington Avenue, East Orange, was charged
with trespassing, possession of heroin, possession with intent to
distribute, possession in a school zone and possession within 500
feet of a public park.

He had more than 100 small bags of heroin, which are generally sold
on the street for $10 to $20, the chief said.

John Carter, 25, of McBride Avenue, Neptune was charged with
trespassing and
possession of cocaine.

The other nine defendants were charged with trespassing, a disorderly
persons
offense: Kyre Wallace, 21, of First Avenue; Ha-son Paterson, 19, of
Deal Lake Drive;
Salik Hinton, 18, of Bangs Avenue; Kevin Banks, 22, of Boston Way;
and Anthony Esdaile, 25, of Adams Street, all in the city; Dishawn
Bellamy, 18, of Vanderbuilt Place, Neptune; James Williams, 29, of
Bergen Street, Newark; Taureen Gordon, 24, of Lincoln Avenue, and
Michael Fields, 33, of Park Avenue, both in East Orange.

Also on Thursday, shortly after 11 p.m., the same two law enforcement
units recovered a 7.62-caliber assault rifle in the bushes of the 200
block of Sunset Avenue, said Kinmon.

In another investigation, around 10:05 a.m. Monday, the city's Street
Crimes Unit
arrested Phillip Gross, 20, of Asbury Park Village in the city. He
had a stolen 9 mm
handgun when he was taken into custody in the 1500 block of
Summerfield Avenue, said Kinmon.

Gross was charged with unlawful possession of a weapon, resisting
arrest and
receiving stolen property.

Then, around 8:35 p.m. Monday, the city's Street Crime Unit and the
County Gang Task Force executed a search warrant at a home on the 600
block of Ridge Avenue in the city, and took nine people, including
two girls, ages 14- and 17-years-old, into custody, said Kinmon.

Taken into custody on gun and marijuana charges were: city residents
I-Born
Henderson, 18, of Elizabeth Avenue; Corderain Strickland, 20, of
Bangs Avenue; a
14-year-old girl whose name was not released because of her age;
Patricia Burford, 19, of Asbury Avenue; and Jeanette Melendez, 31,
who lived at that Ridge Avenue home; as well as Jonathan Barreto, 49,
of 19th Street, Paterson; a 17-year-old Long Branch girl, whose name
was not releasd because of her age; and Paul Harvin, 22, of South
Ridge Avenue, Red Bank.

Those eight people were each charged with two counts of unlawful
possession of a weapon, two counts of possession of a weapon for
unlawful purposes, two counts of possession of a defaced weapon, and
one count each of possession of marijuana, possession with intent to
distribute and possession in a school zone.

Kinmon said police recovered marijuana and two guns.

Harvin's bail was set at $500,000; Henderson's bail was set at
$250,000.

Also arrested at that house was Terrence Green, 23, of Sunset Avenue
in the city, who was taken into custody on an outstanding contempt of
Superior Court warrant.

Kinmon said he could not say if any of those arrested at the Ridge
Avenue home were gang members, but he said the city's Street Crimes
Unit and the county task force are "concentrating on gang activity
and that leads them to a lot information and a lot of arrests such as
these.''

"We're weeding out this type of activity in the city and we want
people to know it's
not going be tolerated,'' he said.