I agree with you.  I would never buy a wii game for a giving tree.
Basketballs, art supplies, mittens, simple toys...kids don't need what
they want.

The kids i know who don't have much are getting shoe boxes filled with
art supplies, writing tools, writing pads, fun chewable vitamins, kid
tooth brushes, toothpaste, calculators.  I will do my best to never
buy toys for giving trees and if i do i will buy the basics.  I WILL
try to make sure that I always have kids IN my life that i know have
less than most so i can not only have the opportunity the share with
them personally, but also be able to talk to them about greed
advertising and EXTREME poverty the likes of which will never exist in
Asbury Park.

but this post started about FOOD.