Friends Jennifer Hampton and Jennifer Graef always have enjoyed going
into New York City to look at art.

But why spend hours traveling to New York when they can bring the
artwork they love down here?

"We had a couple of friends who had galleries, and we said, "Why don't
we do this?' " Hampton said.

The idea for Crybaby Gallery, an art gallery in Asbury Park, was born.
The women opened the place on a second-floor loft at 706 Cookman Ave. in
December 2006. Last week, they moved to a storefront across the street
at 717 Cookman Ave.

The gallery specializes in easily attainable "art for the people" by
artists who are not in the mainstream, said Hampton, 33, of Asbury Park.
"C.J. (Graef) and I found ourselves going into the city a lot to see
artwork that we couldn't find anywhere else."

Both women wanted to be in business for themselves. Hampton has worked
as an actress in independent films. She has managed a restaurant and now
also works at Asbury Lanes, where she books bands and curates art shows.

"I just got to the point where I was like, "wow, I really can't control
my own destiny,' " she said. "It is dependent on somebody saying "yes,'
so I said, "forget that.' "

Graef worked for about seven years at a company that rented audio,
visual and lighting equipment. "I always wanted to open my own business,
and Jen wanted that, too," said Graef, 30, of Long Branch.

At first, the duo thought about starting a tea house and art gallery
that would specialize in teas from around the world. But they couldn't
find suitable space.

So they decided to focus on an art gallery. It took a year to find a
location. They played with a few ideas, such as renting a house and
showing art on every floor. But they passed, choosing a second-floor
space on Cookman.

"We wanted to be taken seriously. It is hard enough to sell the art as
is," Hampton said.

The two used money from family to help start the business, Graef said.
They decided to name the business Crybaby Gallery.

"My partner, C.J., she's a crier," Hampton said with a smile. "You ever
meet criers? They cry when they're happy. They cry when they're sad.
They cry when they're frustrated. They cry at the drop of a hat."

The first show featured local artists. "We invited all of our friends
and local artists. They were excited to have a new place to show,"
Hampton said. "It was better to have a trial-and-error on our friends."

They also experimented to determine the right mix for the gallery. They
showcased the work of local photographers in one show and also had shows
that featured erotic art.

"Our first year was testing different markets, different genres of what
people would buy," Hampton said. "We found what people would buy and
what people didn't buy."

But there was a problem: the gallery's second floor. They put a sign
outside and a sticker on the door, but people did not want to venture
upstairs.

"We would be really packed for our openings, but walk-in traffic was not
something that happened," Hampton said.

They decided to move, Graef said. With "any business, you have to get
exposure," she said. "Being upstairs is not so welcoming."

A storefront across the street was vacant, so they moved in last week.

"The first day we were open, we had more traffic through here than the
last month we were open at the last gallery," Hampton said. "It is a
good sign."

Graef said she enjoys the business. "It's a struggle, but at the end of
the day when I am home, I am saying, "I am happy.' "