Man injured in gang-related shooting in Asbury Park, police say
• DECEMBER 26, 2007

ASBURY PARK — What police have termed a gang related shooting has left a city
man
hospitalized and detectives scrambling for leads.

The 22-year-old man was in the intensive care unit of Jersey Shore University
Medical
Center today after being shot once in the lower abdomen Tuesday night. The
police have
termed it a gang related shooting, prompting a joint investigation by city
police and the
Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office, authorities said.

The man, whose identity was not released, underwent emergency surgery Tuesday
night
and remains in serious condition, said Asbury Park police Capt. David Kelso.

Kelso said the police have strong reason to believe the shooting is gang
related, but would
not give any details about what led them to that conclusion.

The shooting took place around 9 p.m. as the victim walked on to the porch of a
house on
the 600 block of Pine Street, Kelso said. The exact address was not released
due to the
nature of the investigation, he said.

"We know there was an argument prior to the shooting," he said. "We are
investigating to see if that argument is related to the shooting." He would not
say
what the argument was about or who it was with, citing investigative
considerations.

"Before he went into surgery our victim was able to tell us that two subjects
in dark
clothing and wearing ski masks cut through the alleyway by the house and shot
him once,"
Kelso said.

Police are asking anyone with information to contact Asbury Park Detective
Connie Breech
at (732) 502-5777 or Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office Detective Jeff Wilbert
at (800)
533-7443.