In a message dated 1/16/2008 11:45:37 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

I;m  poking around to see how my kid may get grants or scholarship $.
Good sat -  but otherwise jsut really enjoyed school.
>From this side of the street  there seems to be plenty of opportunity
here in the US. I know there's more  then just tossing money at a
problem, but opportunity does  exist.

I've been fascinated by how Ireland went from among the poorest of  the poor
to one of the most successful technological economies in so short a  time.
Decades and decades of emigration from Ireland has now turned into
immigration.
 Competing with India for tech support to USA  callers.

Massive retraining of its workforce.

And where are we?

NewsHour correspondent Paul Solman talks to Farooq  Kathwari, CEO of Ethan
Allen Interiors Inc.

Excerpt from
_http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/business/jan-june07/globalization_02-06.html_
(http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/business/jan-june07/globalization_02-06.html)

KATHWARI: I'm concerned about the loss of American middle class.

SOLMAN: Right, and you're contributing to it, I mean, the loss of the  middle
class, at least in part.
KATHWARI: At Ethan Allen, we have actually added jobs at the middle and
upper levels almost as much as we have lost at the factory level. We have
added
almost 1,200 new people in the last 15 months.
SOLMAN: But every one of those people you're hiring, I'm betting, has  a
college degree. Is that right?
KATHWARI: They do, yes.
SOLMAN: Twenty-seven percent of the people in the United States get a
college degree, and that number is going down, for the first time I  think in
recorded history.
KATHWARI: Well, you know, that's a problem. This is where our leadership
should pay attention to. I'm talking of our national leadership. Our  education
in this country is a  disaster.