The community center issue is just one component.
Bottom line is, AP lacks recreational facilities for both kids and adults.
What I really think could go far in our city is a jobs program for
kids that will provide a strong alternative for the gang lifestyle,
and/or falling into bad things.
Model it after the Civilian Conservation Corps. Put kids to work
building things in our city, and working at new projects as the come
online etc. Around this, build a PR campaign called something like "My
Asbury Park" that showcases the work done by the kids. Create a video
program for "My Asbury Park" as well as print materials. Make a huge
deal of it. Give the kids, and their parents, something to be proud
of. Let's say the kids build something for the city...a walking path,
a garden...anything...when it's done, they have the pride of saying "I
built this"
To me, getting the community and particularly the kids involved in the
redevelopment in AP could go a long way. Empower people.