I thought there would be more discussion about the post below.  Maybe  I
didn't highlight correctly what I thought are the two opposing opinions on the
issue.  Both seem to have legitimate points; but is it possible to reach a
middle ground instead of saying we must accept either-or?

from _The Two River  Times_ (http://www.tworivertimes.com/current/news2.php)
  _http://www.tworiverhttp://wwwhttp://www.twohtt_
(http://www.tworivertimes.com/current/news2.php)

1. Saying he understands change, progress and fair compromise and is  not
whining for the "good ol' days," Gasiorowski sees the Cicalese case as  one
paramount example that "the heart of a city was ripped out and replaced  with a
monolithic group of buildings that block ocean views and would do  better in a
big inner city, not a place like Long Branch, that had such  diversity and
character."
"That was when commercial recreation came to an  end in Long Branch," he said.

2. But, said Woolley, people no longer  seek out amusements, games of chance
and haunted houses for fun. The market  dictates that they'd rather shop, eat
and live in luxury, or at least  someplace nice by the water.

In #1, most here seem to agree that the monoliths are out of place although
at the the Esp looked like an exception.
But # 2 also makes sense to me except when I think of the crowds which
continue to flock to Seaside Park and Point Pleasant.

Original message message dated 1/26/2008  Subjevt
[AsburyPark] "Diverse days on the Oceanfront" TRT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])  writes:

Excerpt from _The Two River Times_
(http://www.tworivertimes.com/current/news2.php)

Conflict Endures In LB...the demise of better, more  diverse days on the
oceanfront.

Saying he understands change, progress  and fair compromise and is not
whining for the "good ol' days," Gasiorowski  sees the Cicalese case as one
paramount example that "the heart of a city was  ripped out and replaced with a
monolithic group of buildings that block ocean  views and would do better in a
big
inner city, not a place like Long Branch,  that had such diversity and
character."

The business people..., he  said, were part of the true Jersey Shore element
that made particularly the  city of Long Branch so unique.