Anyone know the status of PEG "local access"  channels  in Asbury  Park?

from Montclair Times _northjersey.com -  Montclair Times Community_
(http://www.montclairtimes.com/page.php?page=16665)
Friday, February 01, 2008

The cable provider has recently installed equipment that  will enable it to
carry Montclair’s free local cable access station, TV-34,  which broadcasts
news updates, emergency notices, and airs taped meetings and  presentations.

By Valentine’s Day, Verizon subscribers will be able to  watch the recently
revamped station, which also offers chat programs,  performances and cooking
shows.

“Verizon is still fielding-testing it,”  TV-34 Station Manager Sharon
Colucci said. “Everything so far looks  great.”

This development should placate residents who had left the  municipally
licensed Comcast Cable Television Service for Verizon FiOS, and soon
discovered
they did not have access to their local station.

“We’ve been  waiting for a while,” Township Manager Joseph Hartnett said. “
We’re happy that  Verizon came in to make technical installations so that the
citizens of  Montclair can get our access channel no matter what service they
have. We have  been getting several complaints when people switched and weren’
t getting  TV-34.”

Last year, Gov. Jon S. Corzine signed into law a statewide cable  television
franchise bill, which stipulates new guidelines for cable  companies.

The legislation allows a cable provider to apply once to the  state Board of
Public Utilities (BPU) for permission to provide service in any  municipality
where it maintains facilities and equipment.

Verizon applied  for a statewide franchise and was granted approval to use
its fiber optic cable  to provide its FiOS cable television service to towns
without having to first  negotiate with local officials.

Fiber optic cable is made up of very thin  filaments of glass or other
transparent materials that can transmit beams of  light. As a fiber optic cable
is
light-based, data can be sent through it at the  speed of light.

The law, however, mandated that Verizon had to eventually  provide public,
educational and government (PEG) channels within a responsible  time period.
However, a specific deadline to comply was never  set.

Montclair’s delay was largely due to stalled talks between Comcast  and
Verizon. New Jersey legislation stipulates that Verizon must negotiate terms
for
interconnection of the local access station with the incumbent provider, in
this case, Comcast. The companies apparently could not reach an  agreement.

The municipal government then met with Verizon representatives  to discuss a
way that would preclude the need for an interconnection with  Comcast. After
examining the municipality’s PEG station equipment, a Verizon  engi-neer
determined that FiOS could carry Channel 34 without Comcast’s  approval.

“In effect, there is still just one Channel 34 being broadcast,  except now it
’s carried not only by Comcast, but shortly it will be carried by  Verizon,”
said Rey Redington of the Communications Advisory  Committee.

“The question becomes other access channels. As far as Verizon  goes, under
the statewide franchise, it pretty much makes it easy for the  municipality to
ask for a second access channel, and maybe even a  third.

“It would be nice to think that we would have the content to use  those,”
Redington said. “Hopefully, we can support a second one. Comcast giving  a
second channel is problematic. It is not something they’ve been willing to
dis-cuss or entertain up until recently, and it has been a consideration in the

current negotiations with Comcast.”

Colucci told The Times that Verizon  will most likely provide another access
station to broadcast Montclair’s  bulletin-board of announcements, and
eventually, local athletic  events.

“The town is just embracing everything that we’ve offered,”  Colucci said. “
The town is very excited by it, and we’ll do the best we  can.”

48)