Even with a historical program that designates the buildings,
unless you have the money, they will not get saved in a emerging city
like AP.  They money and demand just isn't there!  Places like Cape
May, Spring Lake and even OG have a demand for older buildings, so
the developers can be forced to jump hoops to restore the old
buildings, lots of money to still be made. If the Charms building was
in the middle of Cape May, it would have been redone by now.  But in
places like AP, you can't force people to spend money on it and not
make a profit, so they wait till it falls down, then they rebuild.
Demolition by neglect.  In some places, old buildings bring a
premium, here they are just an extra cost that an vacant lot doesn't
have!  Only a white knight with big bucks can save the Baronet,
Charms and others.
   How much would the Baronet cost to buy right now, how much is the
land worth?  Even in this market, it is probably millions, a small
theater in the middle of AP, just isn't going to be able to pay for
that!  Plus all of the money that would need to be spent to bring it
back!  I love the building, but even a parking lot would probably
provide more of a cash flow.  MM and all of the developers need to
make a profit and unless you can figure out a way for the Baronet to
do that, or find a sugar daddy to pay for it, it's history!

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "dougandcathy_mcqueen"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> If I had the money, I'd love to preserve all of the buildings in
> Asbury Park.  But the fact is, I don't, and when market realities
> dictate what gets done and not done, unfortunately money talks.
>
> That said, the other avenue to counter market forces is a historic
> preservation program that actually has teeth.  If buildings were
> designated under a meaningful historic program, then market forces
> couldn't always rule the day.  Until that happens, money talks and
> nostalgia walks.
>

> --- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Pitzer" <hinge98@> wrote:
> >
> > Did you see the art in question?
> > It wasn't like typical graffiti at all.
> > I agree with most of what else you had to say though.
> > Personally, I think we should dress up Larry Fishman and his band
> of demolition "artists" in
> > orange jumpsuits and parade them around the city to show people
who
> destroyed the
> > "real" asbury boardwalk area.
> > In my opinion, Asbury Park is becoming gentrified in the name of
> money, just like
> > everyplace else in this country. To me, it would be nice if we
> preserved our heritage rather
> > then constantly feeling the need to rebuild it. It's pretty hard
> see the 200 years of
> > history we have here because we love to tear it down. That's
> another reason I love Europe.
> > At least when I go there I can see history. Here in the USA,
we're
> awash in crappy
> > pedestrian architecture that lines our highways and cities. I've
> said this many times before,
> > but it's getting to the point in America where you could wake up
in
> virtually any given
> > place and have no idea where you are because it's all starting to
> look the same.
> >

> > \--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "dougandcathy_mcqueen"
> > <dougandcathy_mcqueen@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Social Commentary:  Yes
> > > Art:                Maybe
> > > Illegal:            Definitely
> > >
> > > To say that it's not malicicious to destroy someone else's
> property
> > > (even public property) by spraypainting on it without their
> > > permission is ridiculous!  Why do people think its OK to
graffiti
> on
> > > public property when they wouldn't want someone else doing it
> > > their house?  That's just as senseless as those who feel it's
OK