Have any of you ever been to Florent, which until yesterday was a 24 hour a day
oasis of great
food, cool people and reasonable prices in the now hip and trendy Meat Packing
District of
NYC?
It was one of my favorite places to eat in the entire world.
It was forced to close because the area has become so upscale that the owners
of the
building upped the rent to a staggering $30,000 a month!

Here's a link to the NY TImes article -
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/30/nyregion/30florent.html?hp

I know that this doesn't directly relate to AP, but today I heard that McCloons
is offering a
$22 burger, which is just plain highway robbery. It makes me wonder if people
would just
order something that outlandish just to show off. Meanwhile, you can get a
great burger on
the boardwalk at Jonnie-G's for $3. I bet in a blindfold taste test it would be
hard to tell the
difference.
To me, the $22 burger on our boardwalk is a sign of things to come.
I hope I'm wrong, but if I'm right, while the redevelopment will make the
boardwalk look
great, it's would be a terrible shame if our boardwalk becomes too pricey for
the people that
live in the city, believe in the city and aren't gazillionaires.