I forgot where I heard it, maybe it was a city meeting.  If down the road
main street is changed to one lane, AP is in trouble!  Do you know how many
cars go through both of those lanes each way?  Image if they were forced into
one.  Traffic!  Parallel parking?  Forget it!  Doing that in a one lane road
backs up the entire flow of traffic until the car is parked.  People are also
hesitant on parking because they don't feel like holding up traffic.  A mental
thing, maybe not even knowing their doing it.