An official trip to the Shore, By NANCY SHIELDS  _http://tinyurl.com/5nykg9_
(http://tinyurl.com/5nykg9)  ,

July 22, 2008,

COASTAL MONMOUTH BUREAU
"See how nice our beaches are?" city Commerce  Director Thomas Gilmour asked
New Jersey's Secretary of State.
"Spotless, absolutely spotless," Nina Wells  answered.
Take her at her word. Wells said she came to the  city Monday because it had
been a few years since she was in Asbury Park and  wanted to see for herself
what people are talking about.
Gilmour took Wells and Nancy Byrne, executive  director of the New Jersey
Office of Travel and Tourism, on a tour of Madison  Marquette's renovated
Convention Hall, Paramount Theatre, boardwalk shops and  restaurants, the
city's
boardwalk and and its beach, as well as the downtown  Cookman Avenue
restaurants
and stores, The Griffin condominium and office  building, and Market in the
Middle, where they ate lunch.
"The changes are just breathtaking," said Wells, a  lawyer who lives in
Livingston and is responsible for promoting and preserving  the history, arts
and
culture of the state. "A lot of people don't know how  great it is."
"It's like being in a New York City neighborhood but  on the ocean," said
Byrne, who lives in Red Bank and is about to move to  Oceanport.
Wells said she is promoting tourism at the shore  "and Asbury Park, in
particular, because the transformation is  incredible."
Travel and tourism bring $38 billion into the state,  she said. One out of
nine jobs is travel- and tourism-related.
"I'm encouraging our residents to stay in New  Jersey," Wells said. "You
don't need to go anywhere else when you have all  this."
On a visit to Posh Den, which is showing Timothy  White's celebrity
photographs until the store's artifacts and home furnishings  arrive, store
partner Ray
Werts said he has been in Asbury Park for eight years.  He is one of the many
members of the gay community who came to Asbury to invest  in the city and
help to rebuild it.
The past weekend featured a large gay and lesbian  presence with the seventh
annual Road Trip parties, he said, but at the same  time, he saw a strong
family presence on the boardwalk, which gave him great  satisfaction.
"Seeing the families come down — that's a sign the  gay community did what it
was supposed to do," Werts said.
"We tried to create buzz the last five years, but  this is our summer,"
Gilmour told Wells.
"It's one of the most special boardwalks, I think,  in all of New Jersey,"
Wells said.
Downtown, Marianne Schell, a real estate agent with  the John C. Conover
Agency, gave the state visitors a tour of the the Griffin  building, which has
21
residences on Cookman starting at $449,000. The building,  owned by RDR
Properties, also will house the first new bank in the city in  decades.
Rumson-Fair
Haven Bank and Trust Co. soon will move in new furniture  for Community Bank
of Asbury Park.
"It's great to have someone with such a wide  perspective get so excited
about Asbury Park," Schell said of Wells' visit. "I  think she was totally
genuine."
_An  official trip to the Shore | APP.com | Asbury Park Press_
(http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080722/NEWS01/807220368/1004)

Mario

_http://factcheck.barackobama.com/_ (http://factcheck.barackobama.com/)

FanHouse Fantasy Football today.