Greetings from Asbury Park:
We are blessed! The weather gurus are predicting another great
weekend and I've decided to take Friday and Monday off: time to
recharge. As I've mentioned before, I try to get down to the
boardwalk at least once a day to check on all the business activity.
This year I've noticed everyone walking the boards has a big smile on
their face. I take that as a sign that we are back! Quite Huge!

It's the first Saturday in August, so it must be First Saturday,
Asbury Park's monthly celebration of the downtown. This month's Luau
Party promises to be one of our best! Take out your floral shirt,
grass skirt or just show up in your trunks. As usual the downtown
will be alive with great music, unique shopping, and of course our
great restaurants. Make sure you stop by the AP Chamber of Commerce
table to enter the drawing for a special gift basket. Only in Asbury
Park!

Madison Marquette also presents the 2008 Asbury Park Kite Festival
this weekend on Saturday and Sunday from 12 to 6 PM. If you haven't
witnessed this even, you need to come down to the beach. Kites of all
shapes and sizes from all over the United States will be on display.
Only in Asbury Park!

Plan B, one of our great downtown restaurants celebrates its first
anniversary this week. Congratulations John and Jeff. Huge!

Four new businesses have recently opened on the Boardwalk in the
container huts. Check out Sea Greens located at Third Avenue on the
boardwalk right across the path from Posh Den. This new boardwalk
destination offers health and organic beach snacks.

Also this weekend:

Thursday, July 31st: Summer Boardwalk Concert Series; Songs from the
Movies at 7 PM.

Friday, August 1st: The Mayor's "Chill-Out" Jazz Series at the AP
Transportation Center featuring Madame Pat Tandy.

34th Annual Newark Black Film Festival finale at the AP High School:
The 2008 Paul Robeson Awards starting at 7 PM. Screening of Award
Winning films and Q & A with filmmakers and actors.

Saturday, August 2nd & 3rd: Asbury Park Volleyball Tournament, 5th
Avenue Beach

Next weekend is one of the city's great events, the Asbury Park 5K
Classic. This is one of the great Jersey Shore Golden Grand Prix
races and attracts top class runners and those out for a fun morning
sprint at the Shore. My brother David from Little Silver and sister,
Pam from Phoenix and Patti will be there to represent the Gilmours.
The Asbury Park Rotary will again be manning the Wonder Bar water
station. Proceeds from the race will benefit the Boys and Girls Club.
Go to www.asburypark.jsrc.org or call 732.571.2162. You can register
the day of the event. Be there!

Last night I attended the opening of one our newest businesses in the
city, The Passion Group. No, this is not another church, but one of
the premiere event marketing companies in the world. This is one very
cool organization headed up by owner Richard Tarzian. Having a former
career in creating large corporate events and incentive programs, I
recognize the value that this company brings to the city. Many of
their clients will be visiting Asbury Park and in turn, recognizing
what a great city this is. We welcome Richard and his team and look
forward to tapping into their expertise to improve out present event
offerings and creating some new ones. HUGE! Stay tuned!

On Tuesday, I attended the orientation for a new mentoring program
that is taking place at the Asbury Park High School. Under the
leadership of principal Tyler Blackmore and Sheldon Sanders, the high
school is launching a new program to pair volunteers with freshmen.
The idea is to have contact with the students on a regular basis and
hopefully it will continue for four yeas until the student graduates.
As the Director of Commerce, I get to work with almost all the
businesses in town but unless we work with our youth and turn around
our school system, the city will still struggle to recover. Tyler
mentioned that 66 individuals signed up for the program. I am proud
to be part of this very important effort and excited to get started.
Stay tuned!

As I take my daily walks through the city, I realize we are on our
way. There is so much more to get done, but so much opportunity.
People who can make a difference are coming to the city. This is a
wonderful and exciting time to be in Asbury Park. We are blessed.

Wishes for a wonderful, cool, and safe weekend.

Tom Gilmour
Director of Commerce and Good Times

If you know anyone who would like to receive these weekly email
updates, they may go to the city's web site, www.cityofasburypark.com
and subscribe.

Tom Gilmour serves as the Director of Commerce for the City of Asbury
Park and is responsible for economic development, the APUEZ (Asbury
Park Urban Enterprise Zone Program), special events, and the city's
employment initiative; "Asbury Works."

Copyright © 2007 City of Asbury Park, All Rights Reserved.

Click here to unsubscribe | Powered by QNotify a product of QScend
Technologies, Inc.