Just to ensure there are no misunderstandings about "The Black Swan":

  Maureen referred to it after it came up on PBS's NewsHour. I used the
term in a few subsequent posts. See posts below.

========================

Nicholas Taleb, an applied statistician and derivatives
trader-turned-philosopher, is author of "The Black Swan: The Impact of
the Highly Improbable."

I predicted the current global financial crisis in my last book, The
Black Swan. You might well ask why more people didn't see it coming.
Well, there are some situations where the outcome is predictable –
if you board a plane being flown by a drunk pilot, it's significantly
more likely to crash. But there are rarer events, such as the current
financial turmoil, that have complicated probabilities we can't compute.
The problem comes when people make claims about these probabilities;
what they say may sound convincing, but the point about these
probabilities is that it's difficult to offer any sort of certainty. The
disastrous results can be seen in financial markets the world over.
http://tinyurl.com/5unckj

The Black Swan had print runs for the UK and US markets totaling 370,000
copies by April 2008. It also spent 17 weeks on the New York Times
Bestseller list and was translated into 27 languages. The impressive
sales of Taleb's first two books garnered an advance of $4 million
dollars for a follow-up, tentatively titled "Tinkering."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_black_Swan_(book)