I'm sorry Mark, you are right I was being a bit snarky. Though I
actually think a discussion on gay marriage is pertinent to ap.

Like Mario, I have tried to get discussions going on other topics at
the other list and have wondered why no one heads over there. I have
posted this before, but I simply see this as a community, not a news
or events board. Though those posts are great as well. The people here
learn from one another and have gotten to know one another, its
natural for people to head in off ap topics, particularly during a
season when there is something so important going on that affects not
only ap, but the whole world.

Regardless of the original intention of the list, it is made up of
human beings, not machines. relationships have been created, lessons
learned etc. There is beauty in freedom and the evolution of the list,
even if it is a pain in the ass sometimes. I think that the people who
do a majority of the posting enjoy the various conversations seeing as
they continue to engage and be engaged.

And once again, I find it curious, that the people who seem to loathe
the off topic posts the most are the ones who seem the least involved.
When posts go off into directions that I am not interested in or are
over my head, I simply skim past. But obviously others are enjoying
them and learning from them. It is not my place to attempt to silence
them or chide their discussion.

It would make more sense to me to change the description of the list
than to force conformity to a set of rules. Forcing conformity would
be like squeezing a growing child into clothes he/she has outgrown.

Maybe after the election people will calm down and be more likely to
explore the other list. But, I warn you, if that were to happen this
list would not be nearly as fun to browse!