Asbury Music Awards at Stone Pony
Asbury recognizes its own in awards show
BY STEPHEN BOVE • STAFF WRITER • NOVEMBER 7, 2008

ASBURY PARK — Sometimes, for a young indie chiseling away at rock immortality,
just one
night gone right is all it takes to strike gold.

That's exactly what an up-and-coming crop of hopefuls will vie for Saturday,
when the
Asbury Park music scene honors its next-generation superstars at the 16th
annual Asbury
Music Awards, live at The Stone Pony.

"It's cool, because when people think of Asbury Park, they think of Bruce
Springsteen. So
it's really an honor to be a part of that now," said 17-year-old Zach Moyle,
Lost In Society
vocalist and guitarist. "You meet a lot of cool people who have the same
interests, just
playing music and having a good time."

"We're just looking at it like, "This is awesome, and we're honored to be
nominated. If we
win, that's cool. If not, we're still nominated,' " he added. "Last year we
went, and there
was just so many people there; everyone was having a great time. It was just
something so
different, just to go and celebrate local music for once."

In addition to the privilege of being this year's show openers, the Oakhurst
alt-punks are
up for top honors in Top Punk/Ska Band and Top Young Band, nominated for the
latter
alongside Ministry Of Pain, Mystical Fudge, Bleed The Arsonist, Hollander,
Catalyst, Lemon
Juice, Amskray, Irie Sound and Outside the Box (also performing).

"(Simply being nominated) is very gratifying," said Jeff Cafone, guitarist and
vocalist for
Outside the Box. "We're fortunate to be part of a musical community that's made
up of our
friends and mentors, and the AMAs are the pinnacle representation of such a
close-knit
group."

This year's awards will feature live performances by nominees in such
categories as Top
Female Acoustic (Amanda Duncan), Top Male Acoustic (George Wirth), Top Male
Vocalist
(Anthony Fiumano & The Medicine Chest), Top Female Vocalist (Eryn Shewell
Band), Top
Live Performance (Chris Batten and the Woods), Top Indie Rock Band (Delft), Top
Punk
Band (Lost in Society), Top Heavy Rock Band (Last Days of Empire), Top Blues
Band
(Outside The Box), Top Jam Band (Green Underground), Top Americana (Arlan
Feiles & The
Lone Howdys) and Top Keyboard Player (Jerzy Jung).

"My point to this year's awards is that there's this whole new wave of talent
that's been
bubbling under the surface that are now, finally, being pushed to the
forefront. There's a
new generation that's coming forward," said Scott Stamper, co-founder and
co-producer
of the annual event, along with partner Adam Weisberg.

"(Asbury Park) is a music community. And, as with any community, if you want to
be a part
of it, you've got to be involved in it. You have to put your time in," said
Stamper in an
interview last year, who's co-owned The Saint with Weisberg since the Main
Street venue
opened in 1994. "If you want to be noticed, you have to be seen. You have to be
out there,
onstage, working, playing shows."

In recognition of those artists who helped establish that community, last year
the awards
introduced a "Beyond Asbury" segment, which honors the artists who, no longer
AMA
nominees, have moved beyond the local scene to seek out the limelight of the
national
and international circuits. Beginning in 2009, this category will include a
featured
performer at the event, Stamper said.

2008 additions to the Beyond Asbury AMA hall of fame include April Smith & The
Great
Picture Show, Keith Monacchio, The Gay Blades, Christine Martucci Band, Matt
O'Ree Band,
Allie Moss, Woodfish, Frank Bressi & The Chilling Details, Stringbean & The
Stalkers,
Random Test, Eric Ginsberg, Boccigalupe & The Badboys, Hub City Stompers, Jon
Caspi,
Sonny Kenn Band, Terraplane Blues Band, Bob Burger, and Goldenseal.

Other awards to be presented at the ceremony include Song of the Year, Top
Local Release
and Best Thing To Happen in 2007-2008.

"As Asbury Park is coming back and more businesses are coming to town, I think
our
music scene is going to be even more of a reflection of that," Stamper said.
"This year, the
music has really come alive and intertwined with the commerce of the town. I
see the
boardwalk becoming more of a scene; there's been talk of festivals. And I think
all this is
what will drive the Asbury Music Awards into another echelon — and into the
future."

For a complete schedule, list of nominees and picks, visit
www.blogs.app.com/rhythmroom. Check The Rythym Room Sunday for a list of
winners.