I think that NJ is the only state that has beach badges.  At least,
I've never encountered badges anywhere else.  The law in NJ says, all
tidal lands and water from the high water mark seaward is public. Access
may occasionally be restricted based on private ownership, shore
armoring (bulkheads, groins, seawalls) and public safety issues.

http://tinyurl.com/66l6y7
That is a link to the public access study I found and quoted above.

www.crabnj.com
There's an advocacy group called Citizens Right to Access Beaches
(CRAB) that was founded when Point Beach's only municipally owned
public access beach was developed into a supposedly upscale private
community.  I say supposedly because it is so damn ugly.  Anyway, the
upscale community claimed sole access to the beach and didn't want the
great unwashed coming through to use "their" beach.  CRAB doesn't seem
to want free beaches.  They don't want to lose the ability to get to
the beach at all.  FYI - There's also history here.  Until about 25
years ago, the Ocean county shore towns of Bay Head and Mantoloking did
not allow non-residents on their beach.  I grew up within walking
distance of the Bay Head beach, but I lived in Point Boro.  We weren't
allowed on their beach during guarded hours.   A NJ supreme court
decision changed that (Matthews v. Bay Head Improvement Association).
Anyone can buy a badge in beautiful Bay Head now.  It's a bitch to park
and you can't get a soda or use a bathroom, but you can go.  Maybe you
can make friends with someone who owns a house and they'll let you use
their bathroom.

So I looked up Matthews v. Bay Head Improvement Association and here is
the decision.  Apparently Sophie can sit on the dry sand.

In New Jersey the courts have recognized the public trust doctrine to
give all residents access to the state's public trust land. Recently,
the courts expanded the public's right to include use of the dry-sand
beach (Matthew v. Bay Head Improvement Association, 471 A. 2d 355
(1984)).

In that case, town residents sued the beach association and beachfront
property owners asserting that defendants denied public its right of
access to public trust lands on the beaches in the municipality and its
right to use private property fronting on the ocean incidental to
public's right under the public trust doctrine. The court held the
public must be given both access to and use of privately owned dry sand
areas as reasonably necessary under the public trust doctrine. The
court noted that it did not need to rely on legal theories used in
other jurisdictions such as prescriptive easements or customary law.
Rather it decided to simply modify the public trust doctrine to reflect
the reality of the times that people need to use the dry-sand beach to
enjoy the area below the high water mark. The court stated that "[a]
rchaic judicial responses are not an answer to a modern social problem.
Rather, we perceive the public trust doctrine not to be "fixed or
static," but one to "be molded and extended to meet changing conditions
and needs of the public it was created to benefit. "