"All Paper, No News" 23 Dec 2008

>From  http://tinyurl.com/7b6rol

People who are into journalism and newspapers and the web and the death of
print have been all a-twitter over the NY Times story  today about the
triCityNews, a little  alt-weekly in Monmouth County, New Jersey.

I spent a good bit of time in Monmouth County years ago, when I was a
consultant and had a client there, but unfortunately my tenure in the area
predates
the triCityNews' era of journalistic service to the community. So I was
interested to see what was so notable about this little paper.
The Times bemusedly profiles the little alt because, it claims, the triCity
"shuns" the web. They quote Dan Jacobson, owner and publisher of the paper, at
 some length in the piece. I've concatenated all of Jacobson's quotes in the
article together here.
[...]
In all of his quotes about the web and his business model and other
newspapers and his big, beautiful full-page ads, Dan Jacobson never  once
mentions
serving his community, researching a story, publishing information  of any
utility or value to his audience, or actually committing any act  of
journalism.
That's not to say Jacobson doesn't value journalism. It's just that it's
absolutely clear that his priority is his advertisers. Thus, I submit that the
triCityNews, while certainly a paper, is likely not a newspaper. I  would ask
for clarification or rebuttal, or seek evidence to dispute this  conclusion by
looking in the paper itself, but that's not possible for those of  us not
physically located in its distribution area. I would invite Mr. Jacobson  to
respond in person here to this assertion, but I don't want him to compromise
his
apparent belief that the audience he serves doesn't not seek clarification  of
information through the web.
I do, however, invite David Carr to explain his  belief that this constitutes
a "ray of light in [his] e-mail [sic] inbox". I  won't hold him accountable
for the headline on the story; we all know to blame  the editors for that. But
even a lighthearted story should have at least its  fundamental assertions
somewhat resemble the truth.
And, as a minor side note to Mr. Jacobson, whom I suspect may read the
response on the web despite his contempt for our medium: The word "plog" is
currently the subject of a trademark application by  Amazon.com. They are an
online
concern that has  apparently found a way to make money merchandising products
online, even when  they aren't making use of big, beautiful full-page ads.
Just as someone will  succeed in doing in Asbury Park, someday soon.

Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now.